Return Pump Recommendations?

Proctor614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the Skimz Quietpro 6 line of DC Pumps, but the limited number of reviews on BRS don't look good. Anyone have any firsthand experience with these or recommend another DC return pump? Next affordable set is the Reef Octopus Varios 6, from what I can tell. Each one is $100 more though. I need 2. I want to output about 900gph at 6ft from each pump...that'll give me the 10x display tank turnover for my 180 display.

Want to go specifically with DC for noise and ability to dial down the output without having to use a valve and cause additional wear on the pump.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of Fluval SP4s for redundancy would work well, or a single SP6 for efficiency. And no, a valve on the output will not wear a centrifugal pump prematurely. In fact they use less power when throttled by an output valve to simulate head pressure. Without a doubt in my mind an AC Askoll built pump will spank any DC pump short of an Abyzz or Red dragon for reliability. And even then, the Abyzz hasn't been on the market long enough to demonstrate a longer average lifespan than the venerable Askoll motor block has in the past decade. BTW they are extremely quiet when used with the included vibration damped stand as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 114 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back