Return pump size?

If you are thinking of buying an overpowered pump and running it at a low rate to make it last longer, make sure you check the manufacturers instructions first as they may recommend a minimum rate.

I have an aquamedic return and I am really happy with it. I bought it thinking I’d run it at about 50% or less but once at home I read the manual which stated it be run at 65% minimum and so that’s what I run it at.

I did a bit of an analysis in another thread when I was deciding how powerful a return pump I needed. I’ll try to find it.

Also, I like having a larger pump now because when I am cleaning the display I’ll run the return up high to suck a lot of crap through the sumps filter sock.

Another thing I learnt was that the sump’s capacity is also a limitation. If the sumps small and if you don’t have a lot of water in the sump, when you run the return pump up high you can load the display tank with water and end up with too low a level in the sump and end up sucking air through the return pump.

Lots of little things you learn through trial and error.
 
Another overlooked issue is vibration… I just pushed my Versia Flow 7 (its a GHL rebranded Sicce SDC 7 with additional controls) to 100% from 80% - vibration is killing me, its really loud… while at 80% my wife can not hear its running…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new