Return pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrtian97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mrtian97

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2015
Messages
813
Reaction score
156
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Marineland Nj 5500 for my 120 gallon system (comes with the system when I bought the used tank). questions that I have:

1. What should I plan to have on hand in the event this pump fail? Is it mainly the impeler that fail?

2. Should I have a second return pump on hand in case this pump fails? Any suggestion which one to use, I like submersible type since my sump is not setup for external

Thanks
 
Either the impeller could fail or the electronics. Not really worth it to keep a spare impeller as they are expensive if you don't ever end up needing it. If you are really concerned, get a backup pump roughly equivalent to the flow of your existing one, including head height limitations. That is a really low output pump (Marineland Nj 5500) I would replace it anyway. I like the DC Jebao pumps. Now might be the time to convert your plumbing to full siphon and with it you'll need a stronger pump anyway.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new