Return pump

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calculate head pressure? I have my sump in the basement nd have 14' head. I use a sicce syncra 9.0. I cleaned it after 1 year and it was clean.
To avoid a tank crashing, I always recommend 2 smaller heaters to handle total water volume. 1 in the display and 1 in the sump. If the pump dies you still have heat.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of "pennywise, pound foolish" thinking on this thread. How much do people think that decent pumps cost? A Laguna 2000 is $179 on eBay... one failure from a $100 jeabo and you are more than this.

What makes that pump so much better than the Jebao? IS it the price...

Gimme a break... Lots of bashing of "Chinese" products lately. Where do ya'll think the majority of the parts come from that make up your "brand name" pumps, powerheads, & lights? I'll wait while you contact your manufacturer and inquire. Good luck if they actually tell you, but I bet if they do it's CHINA!

Check the "Black Box light test thread" and you'll see most of the unbranded lights from overseas (far east) are out performing the higher priced brand name options. Many are now including the same controllable options as well.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dc return pumps are not as reliable as a good ac pump.

Most cheap dc pumps fail in 1-5 years, a good ac pump will run for 15-20 years.

If you go dc get an Abyzz or Red dragon

Last edited:

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes that pump so much better than the Jebao? IS it the price...

Gimme a break... Lots of bashing of "Chinese" products lately. Where do ya'll think the majority of the parts come from that make up your "brand name" pumps, powerheads, & lights? I'll wait while you contact your manufacturer and inquire. Good luck if they actually tell you, but I bet if they do it's CHINA!

Check the "Black Box light test thread" and you'll see most of the unbranded lights from overseas (far east) are out performing the higher priced brand name options. Many are now including the same controllable options as well.

Very valid point, I feel the same You just never know what you are gonna get. Also you have to think, not many are buying the high end equipment to say versus the affordable equipments out there

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is painful to read.

RO Varios 8 here. I run it at 2/5 setting for about 700 GPH on my 220 gallon tank. I use a second Varios 8 to run a UV sterilizer and external heater loop. If my return fails, I can swap my loop pump.

Using 2 simultaneous returns isn’t as simple as people make it sound. You have to figure out how the broken return doesn’t act as a drain and cause incorrect flow in the sump. No one really talk about that when they say “Use 2 pumps!”

No way I would ever run an AC pump. They are miserably noisy, vibrate a lot, and get hot. I have yet to hear one that is anywhere remotely near quiet. Appropriate only if it’s in a sound insulated fish room, on a different floor. Even then, questionable. I could hear my basement Iwaki from the 2nd floor.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is painful to read.

RO Varios 8 here. I run it at 2/5 setting for about 700 GPH on my 220 gallon tank. I use a second Varios 8 to run a UV sterilizer and external heater loop. If my return fails, I can swap my loop pump.

Using 2 simultaneous returns isn’t as simple as people make it sound. You have to figure out how the broken return doesn’t act as a drain and cause incorrect flow in the sump. No one really talk about that when they say “Use 2 pumps!”

No way I would ever run an AC pump. They are miserably noisy, vibrate a lot, and get hot. I have yet to hear one that is anywhere remotely near quiet. Appropriate only if it’s in a sound insulated fish room, on a different floor. Even then, questionable. I could hear my basement Iwaki from the 2nd floor.
I have two sicce syncra 3.0 in my living room and I can’t hear them over the faint sound of the overflows. I enjoy the sound of the water, but not the sound of equipment. If I could hear them at all I would switch to something else.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should check out the Fluval SP series of pumps. AC reliability, energy efficient, bombproof Askoll motor blocks and quiet as a mouse.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval and Laguna pumps are Italian. Mags, Dolphin and Sequence are American. Tunze and Ehiem are German. Coralife and most other brands are made in China, but sold with a US company that is subject to patent infringement suits, warranty claims and everything else stuff like Jeabo hides behind being an internet-only seller with no US presense so that they can steal whatever they want. I am missing a bunch. DO NOT confuse a company that manufacturers their stuff in China made with Chinese patent-stealing company

Use some Jeabo if you want... just know that they steal Intellectual Property and patents and there is no recourse for a business who has spent the energy and money to develop a new product. Using them is killing America and EU... but it's all OK if the pump is cheap, right?

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 210g I went with Vectra L1 running at 60% and I keep my MAG 12 on standby.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back