Return Pumps, UV Sterilizer and Protein Skimmer

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out my 90 Gallon ULM, Trtion method, mixed reef build. My plan was to use two COR-20 return pumps, I believe I should be able to get all the flow I need from one but was going to use the second for redundancy. I could probably get away with the COR-15s but I don't have enough DC 24V outlets for the pumps. I would like to use UV sterilization, in particular an Aqua UV 25 watt. The recommended flow for that is 800 gph. I was thinking of using one of the pumps for just the UV sterilizer and the other going to a manifold that could also supply Carbon and GFO reactors. The flow I am trying to achieve overall is 900 gph for 10x turnover. Is it a good idea to have 800 gph going through one COR-20 and 100 after the Carbon and GFO on the other? Is there a better way to plumb this? Should I stick to just one return?

Also, I just ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 7 Extreme. I don't have my tank yet but the skimmer was on sale so I pulled the trigger. In additon to GFO I am planning a refugium. I hope to eventually have a heavy bioload. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Curve 5? I'm seeing conflicting information about undersizing and oversizing. Lots of people seem to be running their Curve 7s on a 90 gallon. But I am seeing information that I should lean to undersize.

I haven't received the skimmer yet but I can return it but I have to pay a restocking fee and shipping. It will work out to be a wash. So basically I will have paid for a 7 but will get a 5. I don't mind doing it now if that's the right equipment because right now I have the option. Once I open the box I only have one option. I just don't want a skimmer that doesn't skim effectively.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am planning out my 90 Gallon ULM, Trtion method, mixed reef build. My plan was to use two COR-20 return pumps, I believe I should be able to get all the flow I need from one but was going to use the second for redundancy. I could probably get away with the COR-15s but I don't have enough DC 24V outlets for the pumps. I would like to use UV sterilization, in particular an Aqua UV 25 watt. The recommended flow for that is 800 gph. I was thinking of using one of the pumps for just the UV sterilizer and the other going to a manifold that could also supply Carbon and GFO reactors. The flow I am trying to achieve overall is 900 gph for 10x turnover. Is it a good idea to have 800 gph going through one COR-20 and 100 after the Carbon and GFO on the other? Is there a better way to plumb this? Should I stick to just one return?

Also, I just ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 7 Extreme. I don't have my tank yet but the skimmer was on sale so I pulled the trigger. In additon to GFO I am planning a refugium. I hope to eventually have a heavy bioload. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Curve 5? I'm seeing conflicting information about undersizing and oversizing. Lots of people seem to be running their Curve 7s on a 90 gallon. But I am seeing information that I should lean to undersize.

I haven't received the skimmer yet but I can return it but I have to pay a restocking fee and shipping. It will work out to be a wash. So basically I will have paid for a 7 but will get a 5. I don't mind doing it now if that's the right equipment because right now I have the option. Once I open the box I only have one option. I just don't want a skimmer that doesn't skim effectively.

There is no right or wrong answer here - BUT my opinion - more flow - better

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably find that 10x flow is too much for your tank size. 3-5x is usually the target range (with 10-20x for wavemakers). There are a lot of different ways to configure a UV, from in-sump (post filter to return pump chamber), running one pump through the UV to a tank return, manifold, etc.

How many return pipes/outlets do you have in your tank? As for the skimmer, my philosophy is the reverse, ie: always go bigger if you can.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Curve 7 is a very good and reliable unit and like many who set their tank up, are likely at some point to love the hobby so much they upgrade tank size and the larger size will allow you to utilize it for larger build.
Skimmers are rated for light-med-heavy loads and should do well for you. I always have use slightly overrated units without consequence
For flow, many types can be adjusted or vales added for control so I dont see an issue there either especially with DC pump units

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably find that 10x flow is too much for your tank size. 3-5x is usually the target range (with 10-20x for wavemakers). There are a lot of different ways to configure a UV, from in-sump (post filter to return pump chamber), running one pump through the UV to a tank return, manifold, etc.

How many return pipes/outlets do you have in your tank? As for the skimmer, my philosophy is the reverse, ie: always go bigger if you can.
I based my desired flow on Triton's recomendation of 10x. As for the number of returns. I am still trying to figure out how to plumb the overflow and returns. I would like all my plumbing in the internal overflow because the tank will be against a wall. I want to go with the Bean Animal Overflow and two returns. This means 5 holes in close proximity. I am not entirely sure about this. I have drawn it out and followed the recomendations of having the hole 1 x diameter from the edge and 2x diamerter from center to center of the next hole. This would give me a pretty large overflow but I think I could live with that.

Overflow.jpg

The next best option would to be to go with the Herbie overflow and one return that tees off in to two in the tank. This would give me 3 holes.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused by what you are trying to accomplish. You are trying to run 10x turnover through the sump so that you are able to supply the UV with enough flow for algae control? Most run 3-5x through the sump these days as the use of wave makers and much better powerheads no longer makes it necessary to have huge return pumps with crazy flow through the sump.

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curve 7 is a very good and reliable unit and like many who set their tank up, are likely at some point to love the hobby so much they upgrade tank size and the larger size will allow you to utilize it for larger build.
Skimmers are rated for light-med-heavy loads and should do well for you. I always have use slightly overrated units without consequence
For flow, many types can be adjusted or vales added for control so I dont see an issue there either especially with DC pump units
I think I will stick with Curve 7. Unfortunately 90 gallon is going to be the biggest tank I have room for at this location. If I find myself somewhere else I plan to build a house with a built in aquarium and fish room and hopefully the Curve 7 will be way too undersized for that. Lol

Can the flow on a pump like the COR-20 be adjusted to as low as 100-300 gph without effecting the pump negatively?

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused by what you are trying to accomplish. You are trying to run 10x turnover through the sump so that you are able to supply the UV with enough flow for algae control? Most run 3-5x through the sump these days as the use of wave makers and much better powerheads no longer makes it necessary to have huge return pumps with crazy flow through the sump.
I have been planning for a 10x flow rate because that is what the Triton method recommends and I am planning on using the triton method with a fuge before the skimmer. The algae control is in addition to that.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha. Sorry don't know anything about the Triton method :(
Regarding your pump question. DC pumps can be turned down to almost nothing and it won't have a negative effect. They recommend that they don't cycle on and off like an AC pump could do though. At least that's my understanding.

My Cor15 turns down to barely a trickle over the overflow when it's running feeding cycles.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I based my desired flow on Triton's recomendation of 10x. As for the number of returns. I am still trying to figure out how to plumb the overflow and returns. I would like all my plumbing in the internal overflow because the tank will be against a wall. I want to go with the Bean Animal Overflow and two returns. This means 5 holes in close proximity. I am not entirely sure about this. I have drawn it out and followed the recomendations of having the hole 1 x diameter from the edge and 2x diamerter from center to center of the next hole. This would give me a pretty large overflow but I think I could live with that.

The next best option would to be to go with the Herbie overflow and one return that tees off in to two in the tank. This would give me 3 holes.

tornado-whirlpool.gif

Recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. For example, Red Sea also recommends a flow of 1,850 Gph for my 160-gallon display. Here's an artist's impression of what my tank would look like if I was running 925 Gph through each of my 2 return outlets (about 3-3.5x higher than I'm currently running). See those black particles circling the maelstrom? Those are my fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have two overflow pipes (regular and emergency) and two returns (total of 4). Depending on the size of your tank you may want 3 overflows.

One thing you haven't mentioned is if you want algae or parasite control through the UV. Each requires a different flow rate, so the ability to adjust via a gate valve or dedicated pump will be important.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I will stick with Curve 7. Unfortunately 90 gallon is going to be the biggest tank I have room for at this location. If I find myself somewhere else I plan to build a house with a built in aquarium and fish room and hopefully the Curve 7 will be way too undersized for that. Lol

Can the flow on a pump like the COR-20 be adjusted to as low as 100-300 gph without effecting the pump negatively?
Pump is rated up to 180 gallon tan, so I would think you can get it low enough. You can install a ball vlave in the return line to utilize in case you need to reduce or shut flow for maintenance

1651450399217.png

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tornado-whirlpool.gif

Recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. For example, Red Sea also recommends a flow of 1,850 Gph for my 160-gallon display. Here's an artist's impression of what my tank would look like if I was running 925 Gph through each of my 2 return outlets (about 3-3.5x higher than I'm currently running). See those black particles circling the maelstrom? Those are my fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have two overflow pipes (regular and emergency) and two returns (total of 4). Depending on the size of your tank you may want 3 overflows.

One thing you haven't mentioned is if you want algae or parasite control through the UV. Each requires a different flow rate, so the ability to adjust via a gate valve or dedicated pump will be important.
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I've been reading a little bit more about the flow rate in a Triton system. Many have used it successfully at lower rates. I believe the reason Triton recommends a higher flow is to suspend detritus to be skimmed and to tumble the macroalgae in the refugium. I guess I can lower the flow and would still have the capability to go higher if I need.

I do want the UV for algae control. I still don't understand how I can achieve this if the 25 watt Aqua UV that is recommended for a 90 gallon requires 800 gph and if I use a much lower return of say 5x.

Excuse my ignorance about flow as I am returning to reefing after many years and almost a noob again. How do the fish do with powerheads that are 10-20x in the display?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rate you ultimately go with is entirely up to you. The UV you selected needs 800-1,200Gph for algae and 400Gph for parasites. You'll probably want to run the entire output from both pumps through the UV and then to the returns in the tank.

Unless you opt for something like the Classic 15-watt, in which case you only need a flow of 466Gph for algae.

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rate you ultimately go with is entirely up to you. The UV you selected needs 800-1,200Gph for algae and 400Gph for parasites. You'll probably want to run the entire output from both pumps through the UV and then to the returns in the tank.

Unless you opt for something like the Classic 15-watt, in which case you only need a flow of 466Gph for algae.
I think I will probably go with the 15 watt. The reason I didn't look at it to start with was because I recall a video suggesting that you should not go with a UV that is rated for a smaller tank than you have.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back