Return to Hobby after a Decade

helenjc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am overjoyed to be able to return to reefkeeping after an over decade long hiatus. It looks like ALOT has changed since I was last reefing and it has been great fun (and a bit overwhelming) playing catch up. I was hoping to get my build thread started earlier, but the days (now months) got away from me, but here I am with about an hour or two of time while I wait for my husband to pick up my order of live sand and rock order from TBS from the airport. My tank is finally up and running and just waiting for the the first part of "the Package."

So here are the basics. I am going for a mixed reef tank. I’ve done soft and LPS corals in the past and would like to try some SPS, too, with this tank.

- Tank – I went with the Waterbox 130.4 with the black stand. Assembly of the tank stand would have been easy, except that one of the holes in the stand didn't line up. After correspondence with Waterbox, advice from other Waterbox owners, and a lot of elbow grease, I got it to a place where I felt comfortable that everything was structurally sound. I heard that this problem was not uncommon from other Waterbox owners and expected a bit more from Waterbox for the price and reputation. On the plus side, Waterbox does have great customer service and was very responsive. And the tank and stand look great.

- Lights – After lots of research and soul searching (budget crunching), I decided on the Reefbreeders Photon V2+ 48 inch and was very happy with my decision, but when I finally was ready to make the purchase about two weeks ago, they were sold out everywhere. So I did some more soul searching, and "unfortunately" had to go with 2 Radion XR30 G5 Blues. They look so pretty over the tank and when I was deciding between the Pro and the Blue I was worried that the Blue might be too blue, but I am loving the color. I haven't played around too much with the settings on the Mobius app yet an am running the AB+ template.

- Return pump - Ecotech Vectra M2. All the updates in automation and controllers seemed overwhelming as I started my research and I thought I'd hold off on looking into that aspect until I got some of the basics down, but I just happened upon the info on the recent update making the pump Mobius compatible. I wasn't sure if my pump, which I purchased before the update, would be compatible, but I just gave it a try two days ago and after a relatively simple software update, the pump is running on Mobius. It already seemed like a great pump, but I love the extra unexpected bonus.

- Skimmer - Bubble Magus Curve 5. I've read good things, but the tank is empty, so it's assembled, but not running yet.

- Powerhead - 1 Gyre XF330. I'm hoping one will be enough? I love how sleek powerheads are looking nowadays. This is my first tank with a sump, and between hiding all the equipment in the sump and the pretty powerhead, the display is looking so clean.

- RO/DI System – 6 stage 75GPD RO/DI system from Bulk Reef Supply. The unit itself is in the basement with one RO outlet plumbed into my fridge from the storage tank for drinking water along with two additional outlets (just the little tubes with the open/close valve) in the basement, one for RO water (for miscellaneous uses) and another for the RO/DI water (for the tank). I'm using two 30g gray Brute trash cans on rollers for water storage, connected to the ro/di outlet with a 3 way ball valve, with float valves in each storage container.

- Live Rock/Live Sand – I’ve used Tampa Bay Saltwater’s “Package” in the past and was really happy with it and am going with them again. I'm really looking forward to enjoying the variety of hitchikers, especially the ones that come out at night when the daylights turn off.

I've only started thinking about my stocking list. Definitely a clownfish (ocellaris) and a firefish. A mandarin dragonette down the road. I'd love to do a tang, but I'm not sure if that would be doable in this size tank. Also would love something that schools/shoals, if possible. Probably a dwarf angel, leaning towards a flame angel. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I can't believe I'm finally diving back in after all this time. Wish me luck!

IMG_3032.jpg IMG_3067.jpg IMG_3068.jpg IMG_3077 (4).jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Glad you joined back!

OP
OP
helenjc

helenjc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the welcomes.

I got my sand and the first half of my rocks in last night. It was quite a job. My last tank was only a 34g so this is definitely a huge upgrade and a totally different experience. Totally exhausted this morning, but the tank is looking great. Got a few hermit crabs, sea urchins, assorted colorful sponges, feather dusters, and unidentified filter feeders poking out of the rocks this morning.

Here are some pics. I was just trying to get the live sand and live rock in the tank as fast as possible after a late night pickup at the airport, so no attempt at aquascaping, yet. I have no clue how to take good pictures with these crazy lights, so sorry for the quality. Any tips would be appreciated. The lights in real life definitely have a bit of a blue tint, which I like, but it is mostly a bright white. Definitely not as blue as in the pictures.

IMG_3078.jpg
IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

OP
OP
helenjc

helenjc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get some color to show up on my iPhone using Aquarium Camera. Gotta keep fiddling with the settings.
21128845-5EB9-42D9-BCEC-451652321E2A.jpeg
8518FEDA-8EC4-4292-B764-D978933F3096.jpeg
211BE38F-4AD7-49FA-8520-37114FA89F0E.jpeg
29D7EBE2-0FD7-4DD1-8F5F-695EAED25201.jpeg

OP
OP
helenjc

helenjc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle begins. I got .25ppm ammonia yesterday. Maybe a little higher today.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back