Return to Reefing...A lot has changed!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cute! My sheltie Buddy was from Indiana.
My first sheltie was a sable and white named Riley. My best friend growing up. He lived 16 good years. His friend, Casey lived to 16 as well before nose cancer got her. She was still able to jump 3 feet+ in the air at 16 until the tumor started growing exponentially and became infected. I am fully convinced she would have lived to 20 but for cancer.

OP
OP
Mark_Ames

Mark_Ames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first sheltie was a sable and white named Riley. My best friend growing up. He lived 16 good years. His friend, Casey lived to 16 as well before nose cancer got her. She was still able to jump 3 feet+ in the air at 16 until the tumor started growing exponentially and became infected. I am fully convinced she would have lived to 20 but for cancer.
I’m so sorry for your losses! Buddy was nearly 14 when he passed, but not before he was able to impart on me some wisdom.

Speaking of Indiana, would you happen to know what became of Harbor Aquatics in Valpo? I used to stop by occasionally on my way to Fort Wayne. It was an experience sometimes trudging through the snow to get to their coral greenhouses.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your losses! Buddy was nearly 14 when he passed, but not before he was able to impart on me some wisdom.

Speaking of Indiana, would you happen to know what became of Harbor Aquatics in Valpo? I used to stop by occasionally on my way to Fort Wayne. It was an experience sometimes trudging through the snow to get to their coral greenhouses.
I do not, I've not been there. I lived in Fort Wayne for a year but I didn't keep Saltwater fish there for that year. The only LFS I knew of in Fort Wayne was Uncle Bills! LOL

OP
OP
Mark_Ames

Mark_Ames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not, I've not been there. I lived in Fort Wayne for a year but I didn't keep Saltwater fish there for that year. The only LFS I knew of in Fort Wayne was Uncle Bills! LOL
lol. There’s so much to love about Indiana! My other favorite is @premiumaquatics.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A lot has changed yes, but has also become more efficient, effective, simplified and user friendly. And the knowledge base of reef aquaria has expanded and the answers are right here on R2r.

welcome-to-our-group.png

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all most everything in a 5 day power loss 12 yrs ago and just stuck with fish only for a decade. It was 20 yrs old at that time and the loss was just too depressing. Finally couldn’t take it anymore and started up a new reef tank a little over a yr ago. I now have a generator. The biggest changes I found was also the availability of live rock compared to yrs ago. Thankfully I still have all my old Fiji and Marshall Islands rock. Monitoring and dosing magnesium is new to me what was the big 2 calcium and alkalinity is now the big 3 to keep an eye on. I found watching 52 weeks of reefkeeping on YouTube by BRS very informative

OP
OP
Mark_Ames

Mark_Ames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all most everything in a 5 day power loss 12 yrs ago and just stuck with fish only for a decade. It was 20 yrs old at that time and the loss was just too depressing. Finally couldn’t take it anymore and started up a new reef tank a little over a yr ago. I now have a generator. The biggest changes I found was also the availability of live rock compared to yrs ago. Thankfully I still have all my old Fiji and Marshall Islands rock. Monitoring and dosing magnesium is new to me what was the big 2 calcium and alkalinity is now the big 3 to keep an eye on. I found watching 52 weeks of reefkeeping on YouTube by BRS very informative
I regret having disposed of about 200# of coralline-encrusted Fiji in the preserve of trees near my house; ‘’twas the stupidity of my youth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back