Return with low head pressure -- Will a smaller return nozzle help or harm performance?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Tunze 1073.02, which has the following specs;

Pumping capacity: 2,400 l/h (634 USgal./h).
Pumping head: 2 m (78.7 in.).

I've been told the .02 is not the ideal return pump, and that it is considered a low head pressure pump. I've been wanting to pick up a @Vivid Creative Aquatics VCA return nozzle -- But now I'm not sure if I would be better off with a 3/4" or, a 1/2".

So would a tighter return (1/2") increase head pressure and give more power, OR, would I get more usable flow from the 3/4" size?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about just that return nozzle but in general terms - smaller nozzle - lower total flow. To be sure - check with the producer of the nozzle

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about just that return nozzle but in general terms - smaller nozzle - lower total flow. To be sure - check with the producer of the nozzle

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you. So how does return size effect head pressure? I think that's what I'm missing to connect the dots myself -- I'm not sure how return size or hose diameter changes head pressure, and if head pressure makes a difference in the overall output of the pump.

Does that make sense? Seems like an esoteric string of questions.

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit*
Check out penductor/eductors
Basically a loc-line nozzle

You have to check the flow or head loss curve for your pump. Each pump has its own efficiency which is based on a particular diameter of plumbing.

Lots of things account for head loss. Too narrow or too wide of plumbing. Vertical height. 45 degree and 90 degree turns in plumbing (if using PVC vs flexible tubing). Check valves, ball valves, unions, etc...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out penductor and/or eductor attachments for loc-line. I think that’ll be what you’re looking for. Basically a nozzle designed to increase flow without a big up tick in head pressure.

Thank you. The VCA is an eductor, it just has a design that randomizes flow without moving parts so it's the one I'm looking for. I can tell you i've seen them used in person many times -- no other eductor compares. Not trying to make this a commercial, but check them out, they're pretty great. I just wanted to make sure I don't end up with too large of a size.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Harry Muscle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smaller nozzle will increase the speed of the water as it exists the nozzle but it will also reduce how much water in total is exiting. So your gallons per hour will decrease with a smaller nozzle.

Thanks,
Harry

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Tunze 1073.02, which has the following specs;

Pumping capacity: 2,400 l/h (634 USgal./h).
Pumping head: 2 m (78.7 in.).

I've been told the .02 is not the ideal return pump, and that it is considered a low head pressure pump. I've been wanting to pick up a @Vivid Creative Aquatics VCA return nozzle -- But now I'm not sure if I would be better off with a 3/4" or, a 1/2".

So would a tighter return (1/2") increase head pressure and give more power, OR, would I get more usable flow from the 3/4" size?

For the RFG nozzles it really comes down to how much flow you can provide the Nozzle. Both the 3/4in and the 1/2in create the same sort of randomized flow pattern, and at distance, have similar spreads in terms of the amount of water they move. However - but they do have different minimum suggested GPH to create an effective flow.

Here's a cut-and-past from our FAQs that outlines the minimum/optimal GPH for each nozzle size. These numbers are suggested GPH, and are provide as GPH to the nozzle. The interaction inside the nozzle that creates the randomized affect will itself produce some head pressure, but if you can shoot for these number without the nozzle, then you should be good once you attach the nozzle to the loc-line.

Suggested Minimum GPH / Optimal Recommended GPH
Single 3/4in RFG - (RFG075) - 180-200 / 420-500
Two 3/4in RFGs - (RFG075) -400-500 / 700-800
Single 1/2in RFG - (RFG050 ) -120-150 / 300-450
Two 1/2in RFGs - (RFG050) -250-400 / 640-670
Single 1in RFG - (RFG100) -320-400 / 720-1000

Hope that helps, and if you have any addition questions, just ask :)
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/p...m_source=r2r&utm_medium=fl&utm_content=337760

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back