Swapping out OEM return function

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I figured this would be the better place to ask, so away we go.
First bigger boy tank ya'll.

Firstly, what I currently have. It's a "160/600L" Landen (6x2x2), return pump is an Aqua Excel 12000LPH/3200GPH 5.5' head currently outfitted with a 1" OD line. I think it's adequate for the flow it'll see, not sure how big the hole is for upping OD a smidge if I even wanted to. Could swap over a drain but whatever.
It can be run on variable pulse modes, but they're quite aggressive (0-100% pulses of varying duration with no soft start) so I don't know if it would suit my idea anyway.
Return is straight up to that T then splits to the high left nozzle and also to the lower right one, left/right. If the pump turns off, I assume left breaks siphon of right.

The tank is currently piped left to right as pictured for 1x return and 3x drain, 1-1/4" ball, 1-1/4" weird diaphragm gate and 1" full emergency.
I'm ignorant of why the return nozzles are the way they are, but I'd like to T off the return like below in red and instead run a quartet of RFG's or a pair of RFG's and duckbills out left and right overflow to get some turbulence in the tank and not just blast the substrate away from the front of the display which it looks it may do. Kinda like how most tanks are done these days. For symmetry if nothing else.

Yeah nah? Whyfor? Why not?
Trying to avoid running a 2nd functioning-but-redundant pump from sump under and over the rear panel to do the same thing, which might not be a bad idea to _me_ and frankly, everything I've read says FLOW FLOW FLOW.

IMG_20231105_192146.jpg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Have you considered just some power heads in display instead?

If the return in moving the sand too much, then I think you have the right idea of spreading the flow out to more nozzles. Possibly using locline. Or is the return pump adjustable and able to turn flow down?

OP
OP
A

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered just some power heads in display instead?

If the return in moving the sand too much, then I think you have the right idea of spreading the flow out to more nozzles. Possibly using locline. Or is the return pump adjustable and able to turn flow down?
Thanks for your input.

I am concerned the substrate may move, but wont know until I fill it up and run plumbing as-is. LFS advised I get more coarse aragonite regardless (currently 60kg of 1mm I believe), if I'm not running barebottom. The idea was to indeed use locline so things could be adjusted as the scape and growing progresses.
I'll be getting a few wavemakers regardless, just hoping to augment that turbulence with some top-down movement and/or wide surface agitation on the 'bills.
The return pump does have 5% increments when on constant-mode. Still, things can be replaced.

Just getting all my ideas out before I fill it with stuff and ponder too much more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back