Returning inverts to display after ich

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ich in DT and removed a crab, some snails, hermits and an urchin to a 10 gallon tank. I have read that although inverts dont get ich it can be on their shells. Question is, how long do I have to leave these guys in their 10 gallon before I can move them back into a DT? Do I need to leave them there for the 72 day fallow time to be sure I dont transfer ich to another tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ich in DT and removed a crab, some snails, hermits and an urchin to a 10 gallon tank. I have read that although inverts dont get ich it can be on their shells. Question is, how long do I have to leave these guys in their 10 gallon before I can move them back into a DT? Do I need to leave them there for the 72 day fallow time to be sure I dont transfer ich to another tank?

Since they WERE in your DT at one point, they can still carry ich tomonts and the fallow period should start at the point where there were NO fish hosts in the tank. The problem is that fish can harbor ich in an sub-clinical infection, and carry it longer than folks would expect. In the absence of ALL fish, the ich tomonts eventually die out. The amount of time that takes is a matter of debate.

I discussed some of these issues here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/45-day-fallow-periods.805213/

For sure, you need to hold the invertebrates in a fishless system for at least 45 days. The maximum time is around 76 days, but that was seen under laboratory conditions that may not reflect real world results.

Jay

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stage at which ich encysts on hard surfaces (including snail shells for instance) is called the tomont stage. The length of this stage varies depending on many conditions. Unfortunately, it has been shown that it can last up to 72 days under some conditions. Here's a good paper on marine ich that has all the information you'd want. Short story: you should wait 72 days to be safe.

Attachments

• MarineIchPaper.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 237
OP
OP
K

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys, thats what I thought. I will run them in the QT tank for 72 days to be safe. What are your thoughts on feeding them? I was thinking of dropping in a clam on the half shell every few days and a sheet of nori, sound like a good idea? P.S. to Boston reefer, Sorry about what my Islanders did to your boys last night! ;)

OP
OP
K

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're an Islanders fan, I'm tempted to give you advice that'll nuke your tank! If you buy some sinking algae wafers and break them up, that'll work great for snail food.
Haha, now I dont trust that advice! LOL Actually I didnt think we would beat you guys going into the series. I love that top line of yours and wish we had it. All in good fun, actually would have rooted for the Bruins to win it all if they beat us. Now, if you were a Rangers or Flyers fan I would be done with you! :)

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, now I dont trust that advice! LOL Actually I didnt think we would beat you guys going into the series. I love that top line of yours and wish we had it. All in good fun, actually would have rooted for the Bruins to win it all if they beat us. Now, if you were a Rangers or Flyers fan I would be done with you!
As long as you’re not a Montreal fan, we’re ok

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back