Returning to Marines after 25yrs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Malew
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Malew

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2021
Messages
10
Reaction score
6
Location
Isle of Man
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, not a newbie to fishkeeping having kept all manner of fish since childhood, but feel exactly like a newbie with all the advancements to reef keeping after 25yrs ! A few maybe stupid questions if I may .............

I live on an offshore UK island with no local supplier, hence to get livestock will take me 48hrs (only 4hrs for livestock ). My first query is, if due to weather I am unable to get away to the UK, what would be the best way to keep a system cycled if it is in fact ready for the first introduction of livestock , but can't do that ? (UNS R60 reef tank, no sand )

Second query, because I am going bare bottom, and trying to maximise bacterial habitat, is it permissible to put that type of media throughout the sump where it will, fit ? I will have a refugium with the bottom lined with media but can I also put bags in the skimmer chamber and also return pump chamber ? ( prob a stupid question I know).

Thanks best wishes.
 
Welcome back!
 
Hi all, not a newbie to fishkeeping having kept all manner of fish since childhood, but feel exactly like a newbie with all the advancements to reef keeping after 25yrs ! A few maybe stupid questions if I may .............

I live on an offshore UK island with no local supplier, hence to get livestock will take me 48hrs (only 4hrs for livestock ). My first query is, if due to weather I am unable to get away to the UK, what would be the best way to keep a system cycled if it is in fact ready for the first introduction of livestock , but can't do that ? (UNS R60 reef tank, no sand )

Second query, because I am going bare bottom, and trying to maximise bacterial habitat, is it permissible to put that type of media throughout the sump where it will, fit ? I will have a refugium with the bottom lined with media but can I also put bags in the skimmer chamber and also return pump chamber ? ( prob a stupid question I know).

Thanks best wishes.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wouldn't worry about all the extra (I assume you mean) bio filtration media in the sump and elsewhere. Even bare bottom, you'll have plenty of bio filtration with just your rock and good flow. Rather than the extra media bags, get some decent circulation pumps to move water around in the tank.

You don't really have to do anything the maintain the bacteria once they populate. You can, as advised above, add a bit of ammonia or even a pinch of fish food every so often, but even if you didn't, the bacteria remain viable and ready to go for a long time, even without being "fed" regularly.

Here's a good guide you may wish to review if you've been away from the hobby for some time. If you have further questions, please ask 🙂

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new