Reverse Osmosis filtration, and hard water

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have been reading and thinking to get an RO unit, quite liked the Vertex Puratek but it seems to have vanished off the shelves, I live in the UK so finding a reputable and available brand is tough as the recommended units all seem to be USA based, I am only looking for a 100GPD unit so nothing big, its for my 130G. amazon has lots of unbranded but fell foul of those in the past so would rather spend now and save later.

As I am reading I came across a single article that mentioned using two DI units if you have hard water, we live in an area with very hard water, what is the thoughts around this from you all please? On that note of stages, I see many three stage units that seem to do well, then I see untis with five or six stage units, what do most people use for their reef tank water making?

Should I be looking for a unit with two x DI units and if so can anyone recommend something I should look at or is this just bumkum to get more sales for them?

Thanks for your opinion

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI units can be customized for your water conditions. Where sediment is heavy 2 or 3 pre-filters before the RO filter might be needed. If you have a lot of chemical contamination, 2 charcoal filters can be used. The final DI resin stage is generally just 1 mixed bed. You want refillable canisters, not the sideways/on top ones, some come with. If you have well water, hard water or some other issue that causes high DI resin consumption the then you go to 3 resin stages. Cation then Anion then a mixed bed. This way you can replace the one thats used most instead of tossing the mix bed every time either the Cation or Anion part is used up. You can add canisters at any time to most units where ever you need them. Also TDS meters between stages are nice to see exactly where what your TDS is at any point in the system. If you have low water pressure, then a booster pump might be needed. Most aquariumn unit in the US use the thinner 10 x 2.5 filters not the 10 x 5's this site does not say which the units have.

I would look at something like this for the basic unit. Then add 3 more canisters for the 3 DI resin stages. You will need a bracket that mounts all 3 to the wall .

Hope this was of some help to get you started

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have been reading and thinking to get an RO unit, quite liked the Vertex Puratek but it seems to have vanished off the shelves, I live in the UK so finding a reputable and available brand is tough as the recommended units all seem to be USA based, I am only looking for a 100GPD unit so nothing big, its for my 130G. amazon has lots of unbranded but fell foul of those in the past so would rather spend now and save later.

As I am reading I came across a single article that mentioned using two DI units if you have hard water, we live in an area with very hard water, what is the thoughts around this from you all please? On that note of stages, I see many three stage units that seem to do well, then I see untis with five or six stage units, what do most people use for their reef tank water making?

Should I be looking for a unit with two x DI units and if so can anyone recommend something I should look at or is this just bumkum to get more sales for them?

Thanks for your opinion

Some very good info provided above by @lapin .
Not a whole lot I can add other than asking a couple of other Brits to let you know what they're doing and, who knows, maybe one of them is not far from you. @najer and @SPR1968

Oh, and one more thing, seeing you holding that beverage in your profile pic gives a good idea that you, Simon and Shaun might very well hit it off! Cheers!

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at Vyair, I have the 4 stage pumped 50 / 75 gpd, great customer service and prices, I have had mine 5 or 6 years now, never missed a beat.

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, lots to look at and digest. Happy for the insight, trusting the source of info is the best start and I can go from there. Thanks

OP
OP
Blithespirit

Blithespirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI units can be customized for your water conditions. Where sediment is heavy 2 or 3 pre-filters before the RO filter might be needed. If you have a lot of chemical contamination, 2 charcoal filters can be used. The final DI resin stage is generally just 1 mixed bed. You want refillable canisters, not the sideways/on top ones, some come with. If you have well water, hard water or some other issue that causes high DI resin consumption the then you go to 3 resin stages. Cation then Anion then a mixed bed. This way you can replace the one thats used most instead of tossing the mix bed every time either the Cation or Anion part is used up. You can add canisters at any time to most units where ever you need them. Also TDS meters between stages are nice to see exactly where what your TDS is at any point in the system. If you have low water pressure, then a booster pump might be needed. Most aquariumn unit in the US use the thinner 10 x 2.5 filters not the 10 x 5's this site does not say which the units have.

I would look at something like this for the basic unit. Then add 3 more canisters for the 3 DI resin stages. You will need a bracket that mounts all 3 to the wall .

Hope this was of some help to get you started
Thanks, this is why I like this forum, so many people with places to start. Thank you. time for more research

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back