Review - Bubble King Ext 250

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to say I was really on the fence when I purchased this, could it really be that much better? I was redoing my sump room and had purchased a new sump. It was acrylic and pvc and was white with red trim. I had decided to go with red plumbing and ideally wanted everything to match (thank you OCD).

I was running an Orca250 ext. With a new reeflo snapper. I really had no issues with it, it was a great skimmer prior to that I had an external Reef Octopus that I didnt love and that was an upgrade from my 3000int that I had.

Once my upgrade is complete I will be pushing a little over 400 gallons. So fast forward. I purchased the Bubble King used, although it looked new and was in mint shape. Got everything all plumbed in, new sump in, connected to the DT and let the water flow!

Immediately my first impression was wow! I could not even hear it! Then I noticed the 1000's of mini bubbles it was producing. I dialed it in easily and next day barely needed an adjustment!

So now I am on 6 months or so and let me tell you. The pure sludge that I get out of the tank is mind blowing. By far never had a skimmer this good. I see where the extra money went. The pump is awesome and the bubble plate makes the smallest bubbles I have seen in a skimmer.

The only feedback that I have and the ONLY change I would make would be if they were to instal a drain of some sort on the base like the Orca had. I took it down for maintenance yesterday and it would have been much easier of a process to empty it so I could move it.

I at least made sure my input and output were on unions. Learned that one the hard way a few years back!

I hope this helps anyone looking for a high end skimmer and helps you with the sticker shock!

Last edited:

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the mini 160 and just amazed what a beast these skimmers are make all others look like toys.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back