RFA questions

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be at the RFA presentation by Colin Foord at MACNA on Sunday (9/1/19 at 10am). I believe the presentation is oriented toward reproduction which is also my primary interest. But I'm making a list of general RFA questions that I hope he will answer in the presentation. And if he doesn't, I'll try to ask as many as I can in the Q&A after the presentation.

So do you have any questions you'd like me to ask? If you do, post them here and I'll try to ask them and post answers here on Monday.

Here is the list I have so far:
Do RFA spawn or reproduce on a cosmic or seasonal schedule?
If not, how often can they reproduce in a year?
Do they exhibit any identifying traits before they spawn or give birth?
Is there a specific time of day they spawn or deliver young?
How many young will they produce on average?
Is there any way to tell male from female?
Is it true that shallow water RFA are ‘plain’ and deep water RFA are colorful?
If true, are shallow and deep water RFA the same species?
Is it true that shallow water RFA do photosynthesis better than deep water RFA?
Can deep water RFA change zooxanthellae and do photosynthesis better in a high light environment?
How long does it take a new born RFA to reach sexual maturity?
What is the range of the RFA?
Can RFA survive on photosynthesis alone?
If not, is ‘normal’ fish feeding enough for them or should they be spot fed? How often?

toxicshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get some answers to your questions? I'm very curious about RFA life and behavior!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were you able to get some answers to your questions? I'm very curious about RFA life and behavior!

Unfortunately Colin Foord’s presentation at MACNA didn’t happen because of hurricane-related challenges. However, I’m sure that hasn’t stopped @Ron Reefman from continuing his quest to learn and then graciously share about RFAs.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@toxicshark
I've been away on vacation, sorry for the slow reply.

Peace River is correct about Colin's MACNA presentation. I've made contact with him and will do some follow up to see what he can help with in terms of information about RFA's. Have you read through the RFA thread?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/

And if you have any info to share or questions to ask (now or in the future) I'd REALLY appreciate hearing it (post it in that thread as a number of us are following it).

toxicshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@toxicshark
I've been away on vacation, sorry for the slow reply.

Peace River is correct about Colin's MACNA presentation. I've made contact with him and will do some follow up to see what he can help with in terms of information about RFA's. Have you read through the RFA thread?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/

And if you have any info to share or questions to ask (now or in the future) I'd REALLY appreciate hearing it (post it in that thread as a number of us are following it).

Yes, and it's a fantastic thread! I loved all of the info and thoughts on the RFA thread! If I come across anything, I will be sure to post it in there.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back