RFG on a Deskmate - Single or Dual?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all!

So I ordered the single RFG from VCA for my DeskMate but I got the dual return shipped to me by accident. Now I’m wondering if I should try using the dual return RFG that I got or if I should ship it back to get the single return RFG that I originally wanted.
I have the stock return pump (Circa 100) and I did take off the flow limiter before I ever even got the pump wet (no idea what my thought process was there), so it runs at 100%.
The tank is mostly zoas, shrooms, other softies, a not super happy Monti frag and a big, meaty 3 polyp blasto.
I’ve attached a pic also. Let me know what you think on which RFG I really should use!

Thanks in advance!

1E0F38E0-A844-4BB8-A1C7-9C8902B47CBD.jpeg BF9C3489-F383-4459-A6CE-F6A09D9EAEF8.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are cool little tanks. I would try the dual. I mean, it can't hurt anything. It's just going to give more water movement throughout the tank. Only thing about the dual return is it could block the light a bit maybe depending how you point it.

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try the same but I was concerned about space. I end up 3D printing a variable flow nozzle and then hung a small powerhead directly under the return nozzle blowing perpendicular (facing tank - blowing towards back right corner). Produces similar flow pattern to the dual, but the added power is nice. In the end, not sure I saved much space. Also, not sure about the VCA, but the nozzle that I printed attaches directly to the fitting coming through the back of the tank...it doesn't require any additional loc-line pieces. So if the dual is a bust for you, perhaps you can just pop off one of the variable nozzles and attach it the same way and go back to single return.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back