Rhino leatherjacket file fish and BTA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeyZo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeyZo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2025
Messages
851
Reaction score
1,460
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having an anptadia outbreak and was looking for something to keep it under control, so I was thinking about file fish. But I also have a very large bubble tip anemone. Has anyone ever tried keeping a file fish with BTA or is it considered too risky?
 
Every fish is different. Not all filefish will eat aiptasia, BTA, or soft corals. And a well-fed filefish will go after all three of those at a much lower rate.

That said, softies and anemones are always going to be at risk with any filefish in the tank. I don't know how rhino filefish compare to bristletails, but I've had 3 of those over the years. Of those: 2 ate aiptasia, one ate zoas, one picked at fleshy LPS like acans, and one ate only prepared foods (pellets/flakes). My current filefish is the one that eats aiptasia and picks at LPS, but thus far he hasn't picked at any of the LPS enough to kill them and they actually all seem to be recovering. He has eliminated large aiptasia, with only smaller ones that he doesn't see or can't get at left in the tank.

If you like your BTA, I wouldn't risk it with a filefish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new