• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Rhizotrochus - Rhizo For Sale

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. I was able to purchase a rhizo this past weekend. Trying to read all I can. Do you still have yours? I started a thread in the LPS forum for ID. I had no idea what it was, just that it was an incredible magenta color at the show, but not now...not sure why.
ID Coral Closeup Whites.jpg

Last edited:

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been feeding it mysis. The tenticles are coming out and are sticky. I read that is a good sign,but the color is not as nice as it was when I bought it. Any ideas?

Roadkill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. I was able to purchase a rhizo this past weekend. Trying to read all I can. Do you still have yours? I started a thread in the LPS forum for ID. I had no idea what it was, just that it was an incredible magenta color at the show, but not now...not sure why.
Sorry to tell you, that's a blano... I have 4 of them.. wish we could still get hands on one

Roadkill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200211_211510.jpg 20200211_211504.jpg

Roadkill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Googled blano coral and nothing came up. When I compare the pictures of rhizo it looks like what I have. Can you tell me what is the difference please?
Balanophyllia sp. Look that up.
Easy way to tell is how the tissue is forming. On the blano you will see white tissue on the exterior of the coral. While the rhyzo doesn't grow like that. That is the easiest way to determine. I hope you didn't pay anything over 80 dollars for the coral. Most blano sell for 40 to 80 while rhyzo sell upwards to 600 to 1200 in some cases.

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balanophyllia sp. Look that up.
Easy way to tell is how the tissue is forming. On the blano you will see white tissue on the exterior of the coral. While the rhyzo doesn't grow like that. That is the easiest way to determine. I hope you didn't pay anything over 80 dollars for the coral. Most blano sell for 40 to 80 while rhyzo sell upwards to 600 to 1200 in some cases.
I think you are right. I paid $40 but was told it was a rhizo...I didn’t even know what a rhizo was, like everything I buy, I just go for the looks not the “name”. Thank you for this information. Its still a cool coral.

Nalini Akolekar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A store in Tampa, Coral Corral, they were being sold as balanophylia but I knew better. They still have one left I believe. I've never seen or heard of anyone else having one. Just one article on the internet about them really
How can you tell the difference between Balanophyllia and Rhizo?

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot sorry didn’t realize this is a for sale thread. Haha I only got the one, so not for sale
This is not a for sale thread. I was on this thread in Feb. after I purchased a blano. Do you still have yours? If so, how is it doing? Mine is looking great in the evening, usually closed up during the day.

likemike99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a for sale thread. I was on this thread in Feb. after I purchased a blano. Do you still have yours? If so, how is it doing? Mine is looking great in the evening, usually closed up during the day.
anyone still got one for sale? I had 2 10 years ago and am now looking for another. thanks

Back