i have a canopy
thanks

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue one, yes you will for sure need a lid, my son feed my blue ribbon eel and left the top sort of cocked and found him on the floor. I would say yes sore to reef safe, they kind of make a mess and might eat smaller fish but they won't hurt coral as long as it's glued down well

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the issue is more about fish compatibility than being reef safe. With most eels, I just try to be sure 1) the tank is securely covered (notice I said "securely" bc these guys will get out otherwise) and 2) make sure you don't have fish they'll think will be a good snack (usually avoidable by keeping them well-fed). I'll tag @Bob Loblaw and @tyler1503 to see if they have additional thoughts.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided the proper setup they shouldn't try to escape. Mine had pvc system they never left unless it was to go to another opening. I had a canopy with knitting mesh securing the back opening as a failsafe though. Biggest issue is getting them eating. Being able to completely hide their entire body is paramount to get them to eat. I used live gobies secured on a fishing string to get them eating. Once eating live, I rubbed the gobies down with salmon and eventually replaced the gobies with salmon strips. Once readily accepting salmon I mixed other frozen into the diet. I suppose they may go after small cigar shaped fish if not well fed. I spot fed mine frequently and never had any issues. Inverts will be ignored.

PVC setup for my Dragon but Ribbon setup was similar with smaller diameter pipe
4C4F5DEB-8B30-4A01-9999-5179D402BFA5_zpsgg2jwmiw.jpg~original

ribbons9-20_zps72046ea0.jpg~original

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Provided the proper setup they shouldn't try to escape. Mine had pvc system they never left unless it was to go to another opening. I had a canopy with knitting mesh securing the back opening as a failsafe though. Biggest issue is getting them eating. Being able to completely hide their entire body is paramount to get them to eat. I used live gobies secured on a fishing string to get them eating. Once eating live, I rubbed the gobies down with salmon and eventually replaced the gobies with salmon strips. Once readily accepting salmon I mixed other frozen into the diet. I suppose they may go after small cigar shaped fish if not well fed. I spot fed mine frequently and never had any issues. Inverts will be ignored.

PVC setup for my Dragon but Ribbon setup was similar with smaller diameter pipe
4C4F5DEB-8B30-4A01-9999-5179D402BFA5_zpsgg2jwmiw.jpg~original

ribbons9-20_zps72046ea0.jpg~original
Thanks @Bob Loblaw! Good tips for sure!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will get out with out a cover and are reef safe but they will eat fish and shrimp.. I had one in my reef and he would eat anything he could catch. He ate my clown and he ate a royal gramma before I could get him out.

DocTock993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: The black and gold are juveniles. They color shift to the blue/yellow or yellow/blue (color is sex determined + they are hermaphroditic and can and will change sex) occurs at adulthood.
They end up being quite large as adults - I'm always amazed at how long they are when seen free swimming.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back