Ricky%2527s%2BBlue%2BPolyp%2BAustera.jpg

Ricky's Blue Polyp Austera

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go over your current maintenance? Anything unique that's working well for you? Current KH levels, etc? Thanks. My goal now is to try and keep Acans alive, they wither away in my tank, probably due to low KH but I'm really not sure.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go over your current maintenance? Anything unique that's working well for you? Current KH levels, etc? Thanks. My goal now is to try and keep Acans alive, they wither away in my tank, probably due to low KH but I'm really not sure.

Current parameters as of yesterday:

December 17, 2018
Salinity - 1.028 (36.5 ppt)
Alkalinity – 8.55 (Hanna) 11/19 exp.
Alkalinity – 9.75 (Salifert) 04/23 exp.
Calcium – 465 (Salifert) 4/23 exp.
Magnesium – 1380 (Salifert) 10/21 exp.
Potassium - 400 (Salifert) 11/20 exp.
Nitrate - 10 (Salifert) 6/21 exp.

I am currently dosing ESV two-part (alkalinity & calcium) with Randy's magnesium solution and ESV Transition Elements on a Jebao 4 pump doser. I perform a 15 gallon weekly water change with Instant Ocean sea salt. I was using AquaForest Reef salt for the longest time and I had issues with my corals peeling or not growing so I switched. I now run my tank between 9 and 10 dKH according to Salifert's test kit and try to keep calcium around 420 ppm. Currently the calcium pump is turned off to bring the calcium levels back down to 420. I also add kalkwasser in my top off water to help keep the pH high (7.95 at night and 8.24 during the day). I vary my feeding between homemade frozen food and pellets. Once a week I soak the pellets in vitamins and amino acids. I still run bare bottom but the biggest color changes and growth came when I switched from BRS two-part to ESV two-part and from AquaForest Reef salt to Instant Ocean. The IO is so cheap at my LFS that I don't mind doing 15 gallon weekly water changes.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, thanks. A good example of an SPS tank running higher Alk and nutrients. I run super low and while I rarely lose Acros (I let calcium drop too far and lost one) there are things that just won't grow. I've been running BRS two part for a while now and using AquaForest MicroE to supplement. Is it the same? No clue.

I am tempted to take my Matrix (rocks) reactor offline to increase nitrates. Change never works well for me though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back