Ricordea Flow

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new ricordea (Florida, I assume) — $25 rack from LFS — pics below

Seems like they’re wandering away from the flow — day 4.
Kinda sucks because I intended to put them on a rock in front that’s directly inline with the flow they’re currently experiencing.

Two questions:
— Do they need to go into lower flow (based on pic)?
— Do you guys just glue the frag disc to rock and see what happens? (((Urchin so there has to be some form of temporary stability)))
*for zoas I’ve just been glueing plug to rock and they overrun it within a couple of months but don’t think these shrooms are expected to get big enough?

40 gallon running for 9 months now -- everything transferred from 37g running 6-7 months.
Zoas doing great for 6-ish months.
(Longer story but don’t want to overload)

ricordea1.jpeg

ricordea2.jpeg

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are Florida ric

they can take flow but a lot of times michrooms in new tanks with let go of the frag plug they came in on I if unhappy.
jeanibv too much flow or light.
I would out in corner with no flow and not too much light. After a few weeks then try moving them

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want them to detach and float around.

AI Nero 5 with 'nem guard across the top/front of tank ... they're getting a scaled down version of that right now ... plus I moved lighting off of them (2x AI 16s) for now but I think that will be ok

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get really puffy, Rics like just enough flow to gently float their skirts a bit.

R. florida can get up to 6" under lower flow conditions (with most being in the 4" range in typical reef aquaria when mature), so they can easily cover your frag plugs when given the right conditions.

12g Or Clown & Rics_110813.jpg

For size comparison, that's an adult male Clownfish (~2-1/4")

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get really puffy, Rics like just enough flow to gently float their skirts a bit.

R. florida can get up to 6" under lower flow conditions (with most being in the 4" range in typical reef aquaria when mature), so they can easily cover your frag plugs when given the right conditions.

12g Or Clown & Rics_110813.jpg

For size comparison, that's an adult male Clownfish (~2-1/4")

Meant to say thanks for the description, especially the part about "gently float their skirts a bit" -- that was exactly the kind of specifics I was looking for.

Finally quickly/hastily glued the frags to a rock a few days ago:

corals_HI2.JPG

"Skirt lift" feels about right based on what you said -- this is the MOST lift I occasionally see at most powerful times of my random flow (Nero 5):

corals_HI4_skirt.jpg

*Not too pleased with the viewing angle on the top one so will probably pull the rock into a separate container and remount that one ricordea more carefully.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new ricordea (Florida, I assume) — $25 rack from LFS — pics below

Seems like they’re wandering away from the flow — day 4.
Kinda sucks because I intended to put them on a rock in front that’s directly inline with the flow they’re currently experiencing.

Two questions:
— Do they need to go into lower flow (based on pic)?
— Do you guys just glue the frag disc to rock and see what happens? (((Urchin so there has to be some form of temporary stability)))
*for zoas I’ve just been glueing plug to rock and they overrun it within a couple of months but don’t think these shrooms are expected to get big enough?

40 gallon running for 9 months now -- everything transferred from 37g running 6-7 months.
Zoas doing great for 6-ish months.
(Longer story but don’t want to overload)

ricordea1.jpeg

ricordea2.jpeg
Wow I love the gold one!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back