Ricordea mushroom -- how to reattach?

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately my ricordea mushroom detached from it's plug a few months ago and I've had it in a mushroom box in a low flow area with some rubble rock.. every week or so I check on it (usually when I can't find it), and I'll find it at that time underneath a rock and flipped over.. any advice on how to get the bugger to attach? Or are these all signs that it's a goner?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a few things and what worked for me was either a rubber band or I took some plastic nettings and glued it down on either side of the rock around the mushroom and then once the mushroom attached I’ve removed the netting. Glue won’t work on them, they just slough it off with their slime coat

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a few things and what worked for me was either a rubber band or I took some plastic nettings and glued it down on either side of the rock around the mushroom and then once the mushroom attached I’ve removed the netting. Glue won’t work on them, they just slough it off with their slime coat
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have any pictures of how you set up the netting, rock, and mushroom?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have any pictures of how you set up the netting, rock, and mushroom?
Here you go. I used the same clear netting I used in my lid. I glued down two sides of it in either side of my mushrooms and I’ll keep it like that for about 2 weeks just to be sure they attach. They don’t really seem to mind it. Don’t let the glare from the netting on the surface fool you. It’s just around those two mushrooms!

IMG_5524.jpeg IMG_5525.jpeg

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just let mine roam till they find their spot if they detach.
Thanks! That was my plan too but it's been like a month with it detached and no luck.. and it keeps flipping upside down

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. I used the same clear netting I used in my lid. I glued down two sides of it in either side of my mushrooms and I’ll keep it like that for about 2 weeks just to be sure they attach. They don’t really seem to mind it. Don’t let the glare from the netting on the surface fool you. It’s just around those two mushrooms!

IMG_5524.jpeg IMG_5525.jpeg
Appreciate the information and picks! I might be trying this out!

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any luck with mushrooms. I think they have to be in such a low flow area, I just let them float away at this point and settle where they want. I wont be buying anymore!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That was my plan too but it's been like a month with it detached and no luck.. and it keeps flipping upside down
Perhaps it doesn't like its current location and living arrangements? I've had them fall into the abyss in my rockscape only to shoe up months later somewhere else attached.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it doesn't like its current location and living arrangements? I've had them fall into the abyss in my rockscape only to shoe up months later somewhere else attached.
It's a green Florida ricordea mushroom, since I got it, it has become increasingly smaller and detached. It's in a mushroom box with rubble in a low flow area and medium light. Not sure what else to do

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it currently

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_230624581.jpg
    PXL_20230907_230624581.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 40

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what kind of mushrooms are in my tank, but they definitely move to a spot they like(much like an anemone). I've also found that if something, like a piece of plexiglass, falls on them they will attach to it and move around to the other side(on top)..

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a green Florida ricordea mushroom, since I got it, it has become increasingly smaller and detached. It's in a mushroom box with rubble in a low flow area and medium light. Not sure what else to do
I have maybe 8 or 10 of them in different spots in about 175 par and low mod flow middle tank are on rocks. Now my rodactis, yuma, bounce, etc... shrooms prefer lower light and low flow. They are scattered around mainly on the sides of the tank like 50 to 100 par.

If it's dying out in the box try to hand place it in a crevice in your rocks with medium light.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maybe 8 or 10 of them in different spots in about 175 par and low mod flow middle tank are on rocks. Now my rodactis, yuma, bounce, etc... shrooms prefer lower light and low flow. They are scattered around mainly on the sides of the tank like 50 to 100 par.

If it's dying out in the box try to hand place it in a crevice in your rocks with medium light.
Thanks! Do you think I should try using the rubberband or netting trick? And do you think it still can make a comeback?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you think I should try using the rubberband or netting trick? And do you think it still can make a comeback?
Rics are very hardy. Like I mentioned when they detached I just let nature run its course and let them figure it out. Same thing in the ocean. I would hand place him mid tank in a crevice facing up to the light and roll the dice that survival instincts kick in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back