How to remove Mushrooms from rock work to Frag?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Hoping to get some advice on fragging shrooms. I frag quite a bit of Zoa's and Leathers, and now my population of mushrooms is getting out of hand. I was hoping to get some guidance on how to remove mushrooms from my rock to frag them. I have a few types, mostly Superman Mushrooms and another one that is more closely attached to the rock work rather than protruding.

Any guidance / help would be much appreciated.
thanks!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow a powerhead directly at them. They will let loose. Or hang upside down in a bucket until they let loose.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead yes, it will take some time.
Standing over a bucket for weeks, no. LOL

To frag them, cut them off with a razor. The base will grow back. What you cut can be split. New razor is all you need. Don't cut yourself please.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the powerhead response above,...is that true? If so, how long would it take? The reason I ask is I have several growing on my rockscape that I really don't want to grow back. Are we talking just a few minutes? I could take a small powerhead and hold it on the spot, but doesn't seem feasible if it is more than 5 minutes..just curious

Thanks

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With mushrooms I usually take the rock out of the tank that they are on.
Use a hammer and wood chisel to break off a small chuck of the rock they are on.
Mushroom stays attached and doesn't blow around the tank and get lost

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the powerhead response above,...is that true? If so, how long would it take? The reason I ask is I have several growing on my rockscape that I really don't want to grow back. Are we talking just a few minutes? I could take a small powerhead and hold it on the spot, but doesn't seem feasible if it is more than 5 minutes..just curious

Thanks
More than 5 minutes. It would take more than a day. Each mushroom would be different and also depend on how much blast it's getting. Impossible to say how long but it will take more than 5 minutes for sure.

It's kinda funny that people think of coral or anenome as an animal like a dog or terrestrial animal.
Blow on it and it will move. Shake my legs and the lap dog will get off. It's just not the same.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back