Rinsing things with tap water?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months into my first tank, I'm finding it a lot easier when I can rinse things with tap water. For eg. the hard plastic measuring cup I used to soak frozen mysis shrimp (soaked with tank water, rinsed after use with tap water). Another eg.: I put too much mysis shrimp in and the fish weren't that hungry, so there were pieces of the shrimp swirling around the tank- I grabbed the pieces with a small net, then took the net to the tap and rinsed it out. (BTW, this may sound like questionably husbandry, I dunno, but for the record there's only 3 fish in my 33 gallon tank (just rock otherwise), and they weren't freaked- I felt it better to get the excess shrimp out than not, it was only my second time trying to feed mysis shrimp so I kind of screwed it up.)

I don't put anything wet with tap water in the water column, but I assume that letting the above mentioned fish net (for example) dry for 24 hours means it would later be safe to use again in the tank. As long as it is completely dry.

I'm less clear about filter socks but I would think the same: after rinsing out filter socks in tap water, as long as they are completely dry for a day, I would think I don't have to worry about chlorine, etc.

Is this wrong?

I saw that some people treat their filter socks with an anti-chlorine/bleach solution (forgot product name) after rinsing them with tap water and bleach. I must say, I'm deeply skeptical that is necessary. Tap water chlorine and related compounds evaporate out when given sufficient time, is my understanding (I used to work for a water district...). But I want to hear what folks say and their experiences.

What is the received wisdom on rinsing with tap water? My searches aren't coming up with much- more warnings about USING tap water in the tank.

Note: I'm super careful with my water. I have an RODI unit, and all my parameters are so far rock solid. pH moves around a few .x's, and my nitrates are between 10 and 25, which I'm trying to bring down, but these aside, everything is solid and until recently I've been testing everyday.

Last edited:

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I don't put anything wet with tap water in the water column, but I assume that letting the above mentioned fish net (for example) dry for 24 hours means it would later be safe to use again in the tank. As long as it is completely dry.

I'm less clear about filter socks but I would think the same: after rinsing out filter socks in tap water, as long as they are completely dry for a day, I would think I don't have to worry about chlorine, etc. "

Yup, nothing to worry about.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean stuff in tap all the time. If it's going back in the tank wet, I'll do a RODI rinse before. Otherwise I just let it dry out and reuse when I need.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I don't use tap water for cleaning are any and all testing supplies. All testing vials, syringes, and pipettes are cleaned with RODI. People wash their water buckets out with tap water and rinse their sand out with it, I have no problems doing the same. But I do use RODI with citric acid when cleaning.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all- just sanity checking. Some things aren't common sense- eg. I don't think using RODI water is common sense, but research said it was hugely important and there was universal agreement, so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here as well re rinsing.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean stuff in tap all the time. If it's going back in the tank wet, I'll do a RODI rinse before. Otherwise I just let it dry out and reuse when I need.
I rinse my filter material out in tap water all the time. The incredibly small amount of chlorine you might introduce is negligible IMO.
But I do use RODI with citric acid when cleaning.
I wouldn’t stress too much about it, an occasional few drips of tap water isn’t going to hurt anything. I try to minimize it, but don’t worry if it happens.

+1 to all.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I don't use tap water for cleaning are any and all testing supplies. All testing vials, syringes, and pipettes are cleaned with RODI. People wash their water buckets out with tap water and rinse their sand out with it, I have no problems doing the same. But I do use RODI with citric acid when cleaning.
Man, that sounds like a lot of work. I don't have an issue cleaning testing vials with tap (i don't think i've ever cleaned a syringe or pipette). I also use tap for citric acid cleaning. Still cleans just fine!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a little warm tap for my frozen food. A quarter cup of tap into the 220g doesn’t bother me. Plus - I’ve always read that agitating the water releases the chlorine anyway. So maybe a little bit of other bits get in but it’s just easier for me than using ro from the garage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use tap for all my cleaning and for filter socks, I simply wash in machine using warm water gentle cycle , and no bleach or soap- Just Water.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean everything with tap water.

Filter socks I’ve been cleaning inside out under tap water just rubbing the material together to try and clear it up. Let it dry for a few days and it’s good.

Also about the shrimp. You could just leave the shrimp in the water column to settle out. There are other things living in the tank that will eat it up. As long as it’s not insanely excess you won’t have nutrient problems.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months into my first tank, I'm finding it a lot easier when I can rinse things with tap water. For eg. the hard plastic measuring cup I used to soak frozen mysis shrimp (soaked with tank water, rinsed after use with tap water). Another eg.: I put too much mysis shrimp in and the fish weren't that hungry, so there were pieces of the shrimp swirling around the tank- I grabbed the pieces with a small net, then took the net to the tap and rinsed it out. (BTW, this may sound like questionably husbandry, I dunno, but for the record there's only 3 fish in my 33 gallon tank (just rock otherwise), and they weren't freaked- I felt it better to get the excess shrimp out than not, it was only my second time trying to feed mysis shrimp so I kind of screwed it up.)

I don't put anything wet with tap water in the water column, but I assume that letting the above mentioned fish net (for example) dry for 24 hours means it would later be safe to use again in the tank. As long as it is completely dry.

I'm less clear about filter socks but I would think the same: after rinsing out filter socks in tap water, as long as they are completely dry for a day, I would think I don't have to worry about chlorine, etc.

Is this wrong?

I saw that some people treat their filter socks with an anti-chlorine/bleach solution (forgot product name) after rinsing them with tap water and bleach. I must say, I'm deeply skeptical that is necessary. Tap water chlorine and related compounds evaporate out when given sufficient time, is my understanding (I used to work for a water district...). But I want to hear what folks say and their experiences.

What is the received wisdom on rinsing with tap water? My searches aren't coming up with much- more warnings about USING tap water in the tank.

Note: I'm super careful with my water. I have an RODI unit, and all my parameters are so far rock solid. pH moves around a few .x's, and my nitrates are between 10 and 25, which I'm trying to bring down, but these aside, everything is solid and until recently I've been testing everyday.
If you are concerned about the introduction of Cl2 or chloramine, the risk is miniscule. Do the math. Several mL of 3 ppm Cl2 in liters and liters of water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it is OK for drinking, it is OK for rinsing ordinary solid objects, but not porous rock or sand.

The amount of copper or anything else that can come from traces of left over water are insignificant.

That is not true of high surface area materials, especially those like calcium carbonate which may specifically bind things like copper from the water.

NP57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m a newbie to the reef hobby and am currently setting up a large tank system. I recently used tap water to flow and leak test the system. A fellow reefer mentioned that the dead rock I have in the tank may have absorbed trace elements and nutrients for the tap water. Our local tap water uses chlorine and I register about 95 TDS. Any comment or suggestion you have would be appreciated. Thx
Norb

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m a newbie to the reef hobby and am currently setting up a large tank system. I recently used tap water to flow and leak test the system. A fellow reefer mentioned that the dead rock I have in the tank may have absorbed trace elements and nutrients for the tap water. Our local tap water uses chlorine and I register about 95 TDS. Any comment or suggestion you have would be appreciated. Thx
Norb
Ask your fellow reefer “so what” before you start losing sleep over “it could”, ”it might” and “just to be on the safe side” comments. Nail down the details of what this person is thinking. By the way, you might also find yourself obsessing over bacteria next. Don’t.

NP57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask your fellow reefer “so what” before you start losing sleep over “it could”, ”it might” and “just to be on the safe side” comments. Nail down the details of what this person is thinking. By the way, you might also find yourself obsessing over bacteria next. Don’t.
I didn’t think it would be a problem since most reefers wash sand and dead old rock in tap water regularly. thought I’d ask experts on the subject if there’s anything to be concerned about and if so what can be done to remediate the issue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back