Rio head loss??

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one the specifics on a rio pump (2100 - rated at 692gph)? I have heard they loose a lot of flow. This one is on my tank with a single return at approx 4' head. I want to switch pump but will be adding a SCWD in line. So I wanted to get a little more flow not less. And I know the SCWD will rob 30-50% of the flow anyway. I was thinking about switching to the QUIET ONE 4000HH (high head) PUMP 980GPH . Do you think it would be overkill?? Oh I am keeping mainly lps( acans & micros ) and some zoas and palys in the tank.

Thanks

Patrick

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is this?

If you go for the quiet one, well, one it will be more reliable than the rio and two, you can tune the flow down if it is too strong.

Im thinking the rio wont get more than 250gph after the head loss...

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a 58 gallon. Wow I didn't realize the head loss would be that great!! I wasn't sure if all the quiet one's pumps had the turn down feature or not - this is the high head model. I will look and make sure it has that feature. Thanks for the info!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back