0   0   0
All,

Share your best lawn mowers for RO BOW mine are,

1- Tuxedo urchin
2- Zebra snail (can be a bulldozer)
3- Trochus snails
4- Emerald crabs
5- Bristle tooth tangs
6- Watchman gobby (can drop sand on corals)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone there must have been a misunderstanding, I mentioned I would be starting the rip clean the next weekend, as in the one on January 28-29.
I have been preparing however and I did a water change and hand plucked a lot of algae.

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone there must have been a misunderstanding, I mentioned I would be starting the rip clean the next weekend, as in the one on January 28-29.
I have been preparing however and I did a water change and hand plucked a lot of algae.
how does it look

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to do the rip clean. we found out my dad has got stage 4 cancer and the tank was neglected for a while because of appointments and flights around the US. I have been trying to get the aquarium back into shape and would like a bit of advice. The algae is of course still here, and there was a horrid amount. I got out all the loose algae but there is still a lot of it attached to the rocks. I have been scrubbing with a toothbrush ( careful around corraline patches) and its better but still disgusting. I have got a month to get this back into shape and there isnt much hope. I know posting this is pretty much useless but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas - im considering using chemicals ( not fond of but i mean ill do it if it helps calm down the algae for a bit while then i can get a hand on cleaning and water changes - no coral anymore, it was all overgrown so that wouldnt really be an issue). Doing a rip clean is not an option right now, we dont have the time
1683740848666.png

This is the tank a week ago. Now the sand has way more algae on it and in it, however I have removed a few snails i noticed that fell in the back of the tank ( had high ammonia so i figured one of the snails could have slipped on the algae or something, turns out there were 4 that did), and cleaned the powerhead which has so much algae on it because it has a mesh on it to prevent snails from getting shredded, because i had a sea lettuce get shredded into a million bits and the fish ate them right in front of me. I dont want my tiny ywg or surviving snails to get shredded while we are gone and kill everything else. Normally i wouldnt be worried but my powerhead is dumb and has massive holes in it (designed that way, not like actual broken holes - its a reefwave 45)
I dont know, the tank is probably gonna go, i dont think theres any way i can get this in control so fast, but i just wanted to ask if theres any advice anyone would have or anything. I know theres really no advice to be given because of limited options but idk.
The best thing i could do is pay my lfs to keep my fish in a quarantine tank or something (i think they do that luckily) and keep them there for a few days while i can, most importantly without worry that the fish will die, drain the tank and clean the rocks and sand, add vinegar on the machinery in the sump and on the glass from the inside, etc.
I need to double check my lfs does that but i have seen a few quarantine tanks and saw some fish in the store that were someone elses, maybe and most likely it was a reserved fish but you never know. Luckily there are a few local fish stores near me i could try if that doesnt work out.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1683741344209.png
1683741372383.png
1683741380007.png
1683741388360.png

this is during a cleaning where i took out loose algae. It gets insanely foggy for a while, but i use a fish net to catch some of the loose algae and remove what i can.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I was in your shoes, I might would try vibrant. I used it before everyone knew it was an Algaecide and it did work. I feel like it killed my serpent star and maybe that’s because it killed it’s food source.. I don’t know. But my fish were fine.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals? Turn down the lights, shorten the photoperiod.
Lights have been completely turned off for 3 months. Problem is, it gets enough light being surrounded by windows. That was the only place we could put our tank, and there are glass doors and windows all around. I used black construction paper for a few months on the sides and even front of the glass but it didnt help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back