RIP - Silicone Failure on RedSea 300XL my first "fancy" tank :(

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought Brand New - 2 years and 5 months young....RIP. Did not enjoy the stress and work day missed. My poor fish and floors....
Wish I had known about how poorly RedSea's reputation was when it came to seal failures. So much worse than dealing with the Texas Freeze as at least that didn't nuke a $1700 tank....

My fish are OK but I do have about 80lbs of rock dying, that's ok since I can just recure, cursing myself for not immediately throwing the rock in an emergency trash bin with water, but honestly I was freaking out more about the fish and the water all over my office lol.

PLEASE drop recommendations for better brands....
Leak from Side.jpg

Leak #1 Pic.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy it new?

I just got a Reefer 350 and this scares the hell out of me....
Brand new.... :( Bro all I can say is inspect your seals, I wish I had noticed the sand pooling along the edges like that, I could have drained it when it wasn't an emergency...

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years and 5 months young....RIP. Did not enjoy the stress and work day missed. My poor fish and floors....
Wish I had known about how poorly RedSea's reputation was when it came to seal failures. So much worse than dealing with the Texas Freeze as at least that didn't nuke a $1700 tank....

Leak from Side.jpg
Did you buy it new?

I just got a Reefer 350 and this scares the hell out of me....
Make sure you have the stand brace. The stand is the issue not so much the tank itself.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any local reef clubs to help out? Maybe a temporary tank while waiting on a new one..or plastic tubs/troughs. As someone mentioned Glass cages is top notch.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have the stand brace. The stand is the issue not so much the tank itself.
Noted for the future :loudly-crying-face: I didn't know to get that with the cabinet it came with. Won't make that mistake again!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought Brand New - 2 years and 5 months young....RIP. Did not enjoy the stress and work day missed. My poor fish and floors....

My fish are OK but I do have about 80lbs of rock dying, that's ok since I can just recure, cursing myself for not immediately throwing the rock in an emergency trash bin with water, but honestly I was freaking out more about the fish and the water all over my office lol.

Leak from Side.jpg

Leak #1 Pic.jpg
I’d probably buy a large plastic container to drain the tank and to move the livestock in. Reef Savvy I heard people say is good, they do customized tanks, higher on the $ but probably similar to what you spent. All the best and let us know what happens!

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any local reef clubs to help out? Maybe a temporary tank while waiting on a new one..or plastic tubs/troughs. As someone mentioned Glass cages is top notch.
I luckily have (2) Twenty gal tanks I used for QT, so thankfully everything to setup an emergency mini tank was on hand, I dumped some live rock in there and the fish. It wasn't the NICEST transition for them but they seem ok right now and are eating and swimming normally, very glad.

Definitely will take a look at them!!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted for the future :loudly-crying-face: I didn't know to get that with the cabinet it came with. Won't make that mistake again!
The new RS tanks have the stand brace (you can buy separately if you have an older tank) and the newer models have aluminum stands I believe and also glass bracing in the tanks itself. So they’re definitely making changes.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts or suggestions for a different manufacturer ? I'll forever be paranoid no matter what but surely a tank failing in 2 years is not normal :confounded-face:

Anything custom. Custom can get you reinforced seams and if you or anyone you know are somewhat handy with tools, stands are easy to make that are much stronger than most redily available stands.

I will add that Innovative marine make pretty solid tanks and there stands (In all sizes) are aluminum 80/20.

Sorry about your tank, I hope the cleanup goes as smoothly as possible.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its 2 years and 5 months you are still under warranty! Call them!
I had mine replaced for free with the newer version 2 upgraded tank and stand.
See my thread here about it. I was a few days away from warranty expiration!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back