ritter6788's 75 gallon sps

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea how you have encountered this pest?

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea how you have encountered this pest?

Eggs on an acro I'm guessing. I've bought, sold and traded with many people so no telling exactly. Dips don't kill the eggs so you're always at risk unless you QT.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer man I am sorry this happened.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ritter6788's 75 gallon

It's all good. I got to do some re-aquascaping today and I have some new pieces I'm going to pick up tomorrow. I didn't realize how much light that blue milli was taking up until it was removed. The copps hulk is really taking up the right side so it's not too bad that I have to remove them. Give me options for other corals I've been wanting to try.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with re-aquascaping bud it will all turn out all good. Cherry Corals is doing a sale this weekend maybe they will have some nice pieces.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever go to frag it, please let me know...I'd love a piece.

Thanks. It's a maricultured war coral. The colors and growth are outstanding under my LEDs. One of my favorites for sure. It's about to start growing up the side glass on the left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394647008.319659.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed and dipped the large hulk milli today. Not nearly as many aefw as the ORA blue. I did get the whole colony out and there were eggs at the base.

The ORA blue remains were left outside to dry. You can now see how infested this coral was.

All those brown specks are dried up aefw eggs. You can see the trail they were eating through the coral flesh.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394915043.875073.jpg

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:boom:

Makes me so angry seeing that. Hate those AEFW...

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the millis are gone. Turns out it's not such a bad thing. I have healthy large colonies of both and many frags in the frag tank and it's nice to see them with good PE again. I threw away the majority of the corals so I didn't transfer eggs. I haven't blown any AEFW off my remaining Acros since I removed the millis but we'll see. Some new chalices made me feel better about the removal of the millis. I realized I have enough corals on the bottom and in the frag tank that I'm not having any problems filling the tank right back up. I think I've actually added a little more color and variety.

The Derasa was outgrowing the space it was in on the right so I made some moves and gave it more room in the center. This thing was about 2" when I got it.

Some new chalices

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through AEFW and nervously dipping my Valida just to make sure no AEFW fall off, I know the feeling. I still am worried that one little sucker made it through and in 6 months I will see the results, but for now I am trying my best to enjoy the tank and not worry about that. I hope you were successful and things fill in nice for you. Beautiful tank.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how many lbs liverock you are using and what is the total water volume of your system?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking tank.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through AEFW and nervously dipping my Valida just to make sure no AEFW fall off, I know the feeling. I still am worried that one little sucker made it through and in 6 months I will see the results, but for now I am trying my best to enjoy the tank and not worry about that. I hope you were successful and things fill in nice for you. Beautiful tank.

Agreed. I'm doing the same thing. Just making the best of it right now. Thanks for the comments!

Can I ask how many lbs liverock you are using and what is the total water volume of your system?

The display is 75 gallons and the sump is a 29 gallon. I've added added and removed live rock so much over the years I'm not sure of the exact weight. I'm going to estimate there is 70+ lbs in the display and another 30+ in the sump. I've removed my chaeto and filled up the sump with liverock. I can't fit anymore down there. The skimmer takes up the left half and the other half is live rock. I've tried the minimal live rock approach and I always have better results with tons of live rock. The more the better IMO.

Amazing looking tank.

Thank you!

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying an experiment with my chaeto, as in, removing it all. Stuff barely grows and every water change I do it's messsy, full of detritus and I have to siphon all the old scraps out of the sump. I'm going to attempt a cleaner approach sump and see if it helps or hurts or makes no difference. If I can keep phosphates down without chaeto it will be one less thing to maintain. Being able to remove all detritus may be a better benefit than having chaeto to remove phosphates. I'll find out soon.

It's been a month and a half since I removed the chaeto. The sump has less detritus when I do water changes and my corals are still growing great. My alkalinity and calcium usage is up (even though I've removed 3 large Acros) so that means my growth has increased. I still don't get any detectable phosphates and I'm not having any nuisance algae issues. I finding that in my tank the chaeto traps more nutrients than it absorbs so the benefit doesn't outweigh the negatives for me. I'm going to keep running my tank without it for now.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the AEFW but your tank is looking phenomenal! That chalice is a perfect centerpiece.

Keep fighting the good fight!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back