Ritteri in 45 gallon tank?

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into the LFS last night and they had a ritteri in stock for $100. I almost walked out with it but I only have a 45 gallon cube so I thought maybe it would be a terrible idea the tank has been up for two years. Please give me your opinions

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GET IT!!! That’s a great deal if it’s healthy. You can always rehome it if it gets too big (or better yet, good excuse for a tank upgrade). Assuming of course your tank is well established and you are an experienced anemone keeper, mags aren’t the easiest anemone to keep.

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GET IT!!! That’s a great deal if it’s healthy. You can always rehome it if it gets too big (or better yet, good excuse for a tank upgrade). Assuming of course your tank is well established and you are an experienced anemone keeper, mags aren’t the easiest anemone to keep.
The tank has been up for two years and I keep BTAs the tank is a 2’ cube

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uroplatus You can get cipro online and at your local vet (just need to let them know what you’re using for). But keep in mind that almost all mags need to undergo treatment or it’ll slowly die over time due to bacterial infection. Also, the cipro protocol is time consuming and requires almost a complete water change of the hospital tank every day for for up to 7 days. So make sure you have the spare salt to make an additional 70 gals of SW for the minimum 7-day treatment. Also, mags like random flow and light… A LOT OF LIGHT! Make sure you have the right PAR (500-600 minimum) and lights or else it will be wondering all over the tank looking for more light. For your power head make sure you have a nem guard.Mags get big and they’ll inevitably touch or wonder into a PH on their search for light or flow. Best of luck!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uroplatus You can get cipro online and at your local vet (just need to let them know what you’re using for). But keep in mind that almost all mags need to undergo treatment or it’ll slowly dat over time due to bacterial infection. Also, the cipro protocol is time consuming and requires almost a complete water change of the hospital tank every day for for up to 7 days. So make sure you have the spare salt to make an additional 70 gals of SW for the minimum 7-day treatment. Also, mags like random flow and light… A LOT OF LIGHT! Make sure you have the right PAR (500-600 minimum) and lights or else it will be wondering all over the tank looking for more light. For your power head make sure you have a nem guard.Mags get big and they’ll inevitably touch or wonder into a PH on their search for light or flow. Best of luck!!!!
How much light do they need during treatment?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small kessil during the 7-day treatment for mine.
1660430250269.jpeg

1660430330255.jpeg

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you wouldn’t recommend putting it in the display first and seeing if it’s okay?
Not at all. If you wind up needing to take it out to treat it you’ll run the risk of tearing the foot and causing even more damage. Their foot is very large and difficult to remove once attached. At a minimum I would recommend housing it in a 10 gal with some of your tank water for observation for at least 5 days until you put it in your tank. It would be a waste of $100 and a beautiful specimen if you rushed into getting it without being prepared. There are some great posts here on R2R that go into detail on reefer experiences treating and caring for mags….that’s where I started and have two healthy mags today (hoping for a 3rd!).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one I owned was 26” across …..

It’s possible to keep on that size tank but there isn’t much room for anything else

keep in mind any fish can become food .
I’ve lost naso tangs , fox face rabbit fish and many others to mag anemone

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’m going to buy it. I don’t want to kill it or have it eat my fish. It’s unfortunate because the person that buys it probably won’t treat it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
45g is pushing it although not impossible

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t prolific fish killers like carpet anemones. They’re stronger than a bubbletip, but a healthy fish at least 2-3” should typically be able to get away (albeit possibly with a good sting). I had several with lots of 3-5” fish and it never ate any. I will say, this is the first anemone that left a good rash on me from contacting it, as I don’t tend to be particularly sensitive to that sort of thing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back