210 Tang and Nem Tank starting this weekend!

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scaping complete, sand in, tank still filling up, it takes a long time to run 250 gallons in RODI!

Question: Naso tang? Yes or no?

Tangs on the list, yellow, regal, purple, and white tail bristletooth. Maybe 2 of the regal/hippo.

Other tank mates: 2-3 pairs of clowns, 3 nems, damsels, wrasses of some sort, mandarin goby or dragonets

Please send your thoughts and experiences! Scape goes up maybe a foot or so. Lots of swimming space, tank is 6' x 2' and 30" deep.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send some photos when the water clears in a few days!

This is my proposed list, I know a naso tang is not the right choice but I want to bring a solid argument so let me know your reasons why or why not to get such a big tang.

My proposed stock list:
  • purple tang
  • false yellow tang
  • hippo tang (or two)
  • white tail bristletooth
  • orangeshoulder tang
  • maybe a scopas or sailfin
  • foxface
  • 2 pairs of clowns
  • mandarin goby
  • 3-4 fairy wrasses

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping once again! Stock list is important since the tank is now cycling!!
72404032345__FD3A184E-2A66-4D08-B20A-05782236E691.jpeg

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the current list, I said no Naso tang but it is a MUST HAVE. So please give me honest ecperience on how to deal with these monsters or flame me. Idc, i need fuel for my arguement against them if it is not going to work:

• purple tang
• false yellow tang
• hippo/regal (blue) tang
• white tail bristletooth
• naso tang
• flame angel
• foxface
• 2 pairs of clowns
• mandarin goby
• 3-4 fairy wrasses

If you have a preferred order to introduce that would be great! We are trying to get these all small anyways.

@Fishyfish22 it's happening!!

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I would add double that amount of rock if you want to stock heavy on fish though.
You mean for hiding places or bio filtration? We got the marine brick that is supposed to be like 150lb of rock equivalent and will be setting up a fuge in that open chamber.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll jump on the deep end here and say that all my tanks (SPS, mixed, and nem) have been originally filled with tap + Prime + Fritz. I replenish with RODI though. Reason? I'm impatient (not good in this hobby) and not wait for days to fill up 200g.

Anyway, I use Red Sea salt, targeting closer to 8dKH for corals and nems. Latest nem tank has 3 big Haddonnis and 6 Colorados, among other fish. I went thru one ugly phase + Cyano. It’s stable now with the top 3, N & P.

Good luck with the build. Nem tanks are cool! (I got bored of sticks, lol)

Attachments

• IMG_6955.jpeg
    IMG_6955.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6995.png
    IMG_6995.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll jump on the deep end here and say that all my tanks (SPS, mixed, and nem) have been originally filled with tap + Prime + Fritz. I replenish with RODI though. Reason? I'm impatient (not good in this hobby) and not wait for days to fill up 200g.

Anyway, I use Red Sea salt, targeting closer to 8dKH for corals and nems. Latest nem tank has 3 big Haddonnis and 6 Colorados, among other fish. I went thru one ugly phase + Cyano. It’s stable now with the top 3, N & P.

Good luck with the build. Nem tanks are cool! (I got bored of sticks, lol)
Looks awesome! What is your stock list and how many lb of rock did you go?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0594.jpeg

This is my 210 and similar bioload and it barely keeps up including 3 of the bricks in sump as well but you’ll have to find out with your system as well. All of my rock is Walt smith live rock as well so that may have an impact as well.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0594.jpeg

This is my 210 and similar bioload and it barely keeps up including 3 of the bricks in sump as well but you’ll have to find out with your system as well. All of my rock is Walt smith live rock as well so that may have an impact as well.
Looks good! So less livestock / bioload would be better for the current setup? Maybe remove the wrasses and mandarin. How vital are the fox faces for a large tanknlike this? Would it be fine to take that off the list as well?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the more hiding spots for fish the less problems you’ll have in order for enough hiding spots you need more rock. Just the way it is I guess. I’m sure other reefers have different views or experiences. I’m sure you have enough rock for the bioload it’s just the hiding spaces I would be concerned with.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the more hiding spots for fish the less problems you’ll have in order for enough hiding spots you need more rock. Just the way it is I guess. I’m sure other reefers have different views or experiences. I’m sure you have enough rock for the bioload it’s just the hiding spaces I would be concerned with.
Alright, will see if we can get another 40lb or os of the rock and do some stacking in tank.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! What is your stock list and how many lb of rock did you go?
You can check out my build thread, also on the bottom of my sig. The tank is almost 6mos old.

Rock: I started with dry rocks and later added some from another tank. I believe it’s around 120lbs total? I wanted to go BB but added 200lbs of sand for the Haddonis.

Fish: hippo tang, vlamingi tang, sailfin tang, klein butterfly, magnificent foxface, leopard wrasse, 2 dwarf angels, 2 clowns, 4 damsels, 2 tuxedo urchins, and 10 snails.

The attached frag tank has 11 juvenile Snow Storm clowns and a klein butterfly (yes, one for every tank for aiptasia control - lol)

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my build thread, also on the bottom of my sig. The tank is almost 6mos old.

Rock: I started with dry rocks and later added some from another tank. I believe it’s around 120lbs total? I wanted to go BB but added 200lbs of sand for the Haddonis.

Fish: hippo tang, vlamingi tang, sailfin tang, klein butterfly, magnificent foxface, leopard wrasse, 2 dwarf angels, 2 clowns, 4 damsels, 2 tuxedo urchins, and 10 snails.

The attached frag tank has 11 juvenile Snow Storm clowns and a klein butterfly (yes, one for every tank for aiptasia control - lol)
How necessary is a snail cuc for this size tank?

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on the path! This week while testing the new equipment, we ran into some leaks after increasing the flow from the return pump (Varios 6) and it was mainly due to the use of Teflon tape. Ty to all those who responded to my emergency post and recommended T plus 2! Swapped out the tape for the actual correct sealant! Testing resumes on they cycle this weekend! Almost done, just adding turbo fritz, some bio filter sponges, and setting up the RODI in the garage as well as the ATO for the tank!
IMG_8855.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back