RMA - APEX replaced head unit

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason my APEX stopped logging and displaying any information. Support was very helpful and quickly determined that the memory was no longer working and they sent me an RMA unit. But did not give me much info on swapping.

I have figured out how to back up the setting local although I have not tried yet.

Is there a thread or video I could reference? Hate to have to redo all this.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to make sure all of your modules get assigned the same module address. Before you swap, take screenshots of the module page, have the configuration summary handy as a backup, and screenshots of season table if you edited it.

1. Set up wifi connection and name something different than your old head.

2. Plug modules in one at a time in the same order as your module page. If any get assigned out of order the restore won't work and you will have to factory reset and start over or reassign them in telnet (is you aren't very very computer savvy you need support to do this for you. You can brick things in telnet).

3. If all module addresses match, load your saved configuration.

4. Edit season table if applicable.

Upvote 0

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me this past weekend with my Apex the memory went bad and it stopped graphing they determined head unit would need to be replaced.

Service tech during his diagnosis made a back up of my configuration told me when the new head unit arrives swap it out with the old one upload the configuration file and all should be good.

Surprising they don't make the SD card swappable. Now that I know it's just an SD card I'm going to see if there's a way to swap it out without too much trouble.

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one area Neptune needs to seriously fix.

Not offering redundant brains is an already an issue. Making it easier to swap head units needs to be addressed immediately.

I'm switching from the ELMO to the Pro and it has not been easy at all. This is one of the only areas Hydros has Neptune absolutely beat by a mile.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back