RO activated charcoal cartridge in a reactor and a DeIonization cartrdge to filter tank water

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that products such as chemipure blue tout their use of refined activated charcoal and demonization resins.

Has anyone ever considered using a RO cartridge and a DeIonization cartridge with a small pump (think BRS GFO and activated charcoal reactor setup) to filter tank water continuously?

I can think of several pros. What are the cons?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deionizing resins have no utility in seawater. They may bind some organics, and do little else.

Real ro Carbon cartridges will likely get clogged very fast since they have fine pores. Just filling a cartridge and using a pump is a fine way to use GAC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deionizing resins have no utility in seawater. They may bind some organics, and do little else.

Real ro Carbon cartridges will likely get clogged very fast since they have fine pores. Just filling a cartridge and using a pump is a fine way to use GAC.
Thanks Randy,

Taking the thought a step further, your comment about deionizing resins leads one to question the efficacy of products that boast of deionization of salt water. With regard to GAC, I have been using the method you described. My thought was the rinse, clean, etc process might be easier if pre-packed cartridges were used. I have not done a cost comparision. Your comment about clogging, and my concern that the quality of charcoal in the RO cartridge might be lower than GAC and more likely to cause HLLE are two potential cons. I have some extra RO cartridges on hand, so I replaced the GAC in a reactor with one. Not sure I will be able to evaluate the success of the experiment other than to observe if the water flow is sustained for any length of time.

Thanks Again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the thought a step further, your comment about deionizing resins leads one to question the efficacy of products that boast of deionization of salt water.

Yes, one should question that aspect of any product using an ion exchange resin and what it is supposed to accomplish in a literal sea of ions.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back