RO Classic 200int is loud!

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used 200int ($160) for my newly built system. 210 gallon display with a Bashea Biofuge sump. I fired up the skimmer last night for the first time and it is way loud. Like an unacceptably loud hum from 25 ft away. So my question is this: if I replace the current ac pump with the Varios 4s dc pump (which RO says fits just fine), can I expect that will take care of the noise issue? Or is noise inherent in the design of the skimmer regardless of the pump? The Varios is $335 which combined with the $160 makes for a $500 skimmer. Should I consider reselling the 200int and starting over. In other words is there something comparable that's quiet and will be less than the $500 I'll have invested in the 200int and Varios? I plan on having a medium to light bio-load in the tank.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RO regal internal skimmer. My varios pump is super quiet and cannot hear the skimmer or the pump at all. I love that pump

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1

Block the air intake . If it will be silent - put a silencer on the air intake - still make sounds move to step 2

Step 2

Disconnect the pump from the skimmer and run it by itself for a while. If it still make sounds - it is the pump.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1

Block the air intake . If it will be silent - put a silencer on the air intake - still make sounds move to step 2

Step 2

Disconnect the pump from the skimmer and run it by itself for a while. If it still make sounds - it is the pump.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse. When I partially cover the open intake on the silencer, the noise does decrease. Perhaps I'll look into putting a valve in the air intake line. Additionally, when the pump is disconnected from the skimmer it does hum but it is lessened. However it is quite a bit louder by itself than my two much larger return pumps combined. I'll run the stock pump for awhile and if I can't live with it I'll buy the Varios I suppose.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I partially cover the open intake on the silencer, the noise does decrease.
Sometimes its help with placing a plastic tube on the intake - 0.5 m - 1 m in length

Additionally, when the pump is disconnected from the skimmer it does hum
Try to place the skimmer on a small part of a foam mat or something like that (new rubber feets maybe). The "hum" is because it is an AC pump

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The "hum" is because it is an AC pump" That's kind of what I thought. The Varios is expensive but I suppose if I have $500 invested into a robust skimmer that's not an unreasonable overall cost. Thanks again.

By the way, I LOVE your tank Lasse. Very inspirational.

Back