RO/DI Auto Top Off Submerged?

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems concerning with my Auto Top off pipe being submerged under the waterline? I woke up last night hearing it dripping about an inch above the waterline. I was thinking of adding a PVC 45 degree or elbow to slightly submerge it or even submerge completely to not hear it drip. Thanks in advance.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is submerged, it will create a syphon. Once it kicks off it will syphon water from your tank. You always want to leave a gap between the hose and water line.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a potential for the pipe to siphon water from your tank back into your ATO. That makes a big mess.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small tube at the top of a 3/4" PVC that drips down about 12 inches of pipe to just above the waterline. This is because my 15gallon RO/DI next to the sump is much taller then the waterline so I don't want it to siphon RO/DI down in the sump. So again its just a small tube from a aqualifter pump going down about 2 inches and then drip down a pvc pipe that I was considering submerging. I don't think it can siphon back up a 12inch pvc into my ro/di tube and pump.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the siphon, I had this happen before and it created a mess. I have since put a syphon break on my ATO line and have not had this problem since. I do keep my line above my water line to splash on my dosing tubes so they don't get solidified and blocked up. I don't mind the noise when it kicks on since my tank is in the living room and can't hear it when I'm sleeping.

2004turbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another +1 on the siphon. On my sump i have the ato container sitting higher. I had to raise the ato line above the ato container to avoid a siphon also.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct it to run into the side of a wall or baffle within the sump. Or over a fuge, media, etc. Or simply put a sponge on the end. Many easy ways to quiet it

I like hearing mine fill...... reminds me to check on things occasionally!

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was accidentally submerged one time and it made a siphon after it topped off one night. The only thing that saved me was that the sump level got below the topoff water bucket level after just a few seconds.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are doing what I am doing, I have my ATO tube that is connected to the pump feed into a 1/2" PVC pipe that I have in the water in my sump BUT you have make sure your tubing that is connected to your ATO system is above the water line of your reservoir or it will still siphon or in your case be close enough it is dripping. I use the PVC pipe to ensure my tubing is several inches above my ATO tank, and to keep the splashing down.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I tweaked it on my lunch break. The photos show the blue rodi container on the right. Aqualifter pump on the shelf feeding into a pvc pipe that is attached to the sump going down maybe an inch or so above the waterline. The tube from the aqualifter only goes down a couple inches, but above the waterline in my rodi container. I could hear the water trickle down the pvc into the sump pretty loudly since it is right across from the bedroom. I’ve just added a elbow so it’s slightly submerged to allow air through, but if it were to submerge completely, should a siphon occur? Air should be able to get through at the top of the pvc also to avoid a siphon from the tank through the tubing and into the rodi container right? Thanks again for all the advice.

99AE533D-E9A6-4093-BA70-F170B0CB7D15.jpeg
675B8760-CC89-41E2-9BA4-8391A0337A3D.jpeg
E1101B8A-1E98-4594-9688-37F87DDAD666.jpeg
03684776-C29D-4A2E-86F9-03D315CBD9D6.jpeg

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I tweaked it on my lunch break. The photos show the blue rodi container on the right. Aqualifter pump on the shelf feeding into a pvc pipe that is attached to the sump going down maybe an inch or so above the waterline. The tube from the aqualifter only goes down a couple inches, but above the waterline in my rodi container. I could hear the water trickle down the pvc into the sump pretty loudly since it is right across from the bedroom. I’ve just added a elbow so it’s slightly submerged to allow air through, but if it were to submerge completely, should a siphon occur? Air should be able to get through at the top of the pvc also to avoid a siphon from the tank through the tubing and into the rodi container right? Thanks again for all the advice.

99AE533D-E9A6-4093-BA70-F170B0CB7D15.jpeg
675B8760-CC89-41E2-9BA4-8391A0337A3D.jpeg
E1101B8A-1E98-4594-9688-37F87DDAD666.jpeg
03684776-C29D-4A2E-86F9-03D315CBD9D6.jpeg
That PVC pipe will not be causing a siphon based on the small blue tube your ATO is using. I don't see how your ATO line could be causing it to drip unless your pump is not shutting off all the way. What kind of sensor does your ATO have to shut off and on with? If the Aqualifter pump is your ATO pump then does that run all time since it is a dosing pump?

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PVC pipe will not be causing a siphon based on the small blue tube your ATO is using. I don't see how your ATO line could be causing it to drip unless your pump is not shutting off all the way. What kind of sensor does your ATO have to shut off and on with?

It shuts on and off just fine. It's just loud to drip down the PVC into the sump. Its a JBJ ATO with an aqualifter pump. It's just two float valve sensors that the JBJ comes with.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shuts on and off just fine. It's just loud to drip down the PVC into the sump. Its a JBJ ATO with an aqualifter pump. It's just two float valve sensors that the JBJ comes with.
I thought your ATO was running all the time after the pump shut off. Is the pump slow in the water out put or does it shoot out? My Tunze ATO pump really shoots the water out and I can here it cross the room but it only runs maybe 30 seconds at a time, maybe once an hour or so. I think the way yours is set up, I think you will have to live with the drips, your pump is about 3.5 gallons an hour, the Tunze pump is close to 30 gallons an hour, it is going to take about 3 or 4 minutes to top off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought your ATO was running all the time after the pump shut off. Is the pump slow in the water out put or does it shoot out? My Tunze ATO pump really shoots the water out and I can here it cross the room but it only runs maybe 30 seconds at a time, maybe once an hour or so. I think the way yours is set up, I think you will have to live with the drips, your pump is about 3.5 gallons an hour, the Tunze pump is close to 30 gallons an hour, it is going to take about 3 or 4 minutes to top off.

The aqualifter pump is pretty slow and so I hear it trickle down the PVC for a while until the water level is where it is needed or just hear it often to keep at that level. Its about 100 gallon system split between two tanks and sumps evaporation.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back