RO/DI Filter

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I'm not to familiar with RO/DI systems, but I recently aquired an older one from my brother who got out of the hobby awhile back. It's a couple years old but I tested it and the current TDS parameters of the water are 16ppm. I did some research and found that it was advised against using anything above 0-5ppm. I did not replace the filters but my question is, if I do, will the ppm come down? It's a pretty old system that I cleaned up and wiped down but I'm not sure if I should just buy a new one? Also, one of the canisters was indeed empty, only 2 filters.

The filters on the right are 9.5" tall, and the blue canisters are 10". If I did replace them would the 10" kit from Aquarium Water FIlters be the right one?

rodi.png

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above comment. Replace the sediment, carbon, membrane, and DI cartridges and you should have zero TDS water coming out of the unit.

Just be sure to flush the cartridges for a good 30 min before you start making RODI water (meaning discard the water for the first 30 min you run it). And if you have a flush kit, best to use it every single time you make water. That'll extend the life of the membrane.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it’s already at 16 without a di stage it might be working. What’s your tds out of your faucet start at? You might not Need a new membrane , surprising but if stored correctly it’s possible. But either way the hard parts are all fine just get new filters

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it’s already at 16 without a di stage it might be working. What’s your tds out of your faucet start at? You might not Need a new membrane , surprising but if stored correctly it’s possible. But either way the hard parts are all fine just get new filters
The water from my faucet reads 225ppm.

Thanks everyone!!

What do you guys mean by membrain? And is there a filter inside that canister with the label "The Barracuda"?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s the ro membrane. And the most expensive part to change. get a new carbon and sediment filter , your membrane still works fine. Don’t run more any water through it till you get a mew carbon on there

to get that final 16 to read zero you just need a di filter

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 225 down to 16 is about 92-93% rejection rate which is still pretty good. You might be able to drop tds down a little bit more with new filters. It looks like you have a pump too so make sure you have that at 80 psi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back