RO/DI help

Jeepjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I posted this in the new to salt water forum with no luck so I’ll try here and the DIY section. Question for setting up my RO/DI unit with booster pump. I’m looking for a diagram to show where to place the high and low pressure switches (HPS and LPS) as I’ve found different examples on the interwebs. I’ve seen the LPS placed before the pump on the source line to prevent the pump from running dry should the water source turn off or run low. Makes sense but I’m not really worried about that as if that happens, I have a bigger problem with my houses water supply, lol.

My set up is as follows: used a “Y” splitter on my washer water line which has a ball valve on each connection. Currently, water feeds into a 4 stage RO/DI unit with 25-30 PSI, hence the need for the booster pump. The pump did not come with LPS or HPS so I purchased separately with no instruction with those (obviously). I plan on wheeling my ATO reservoir to the RO unit in the laundry room and turning on the pump when I need to fill. So with this set up, where would be the ideal location for both switches? Or do I even need both switches?

One of my crazy theories, which is probably wrong but makes some sense in my brain, would be to place the HPS on the “good water” line that feeds into the reservoir so when the float valve in the reservoir reaches it shut off point, pressure would build in the line triggering the HPS to turn off the pump. Am I way off base with this thought? Having never really dealt with this, I’m just coming up with thoughts on how it would work.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right on the money with your placement of the HP switch. That is exactly how you use it. Be aware that the best configuration when using a HP switch like this is to also have it control a shut off solenoid valve on the feedwater line. You'll sometimes have trouble if you try to team a HP switch and a hydraulic ASOV.

Assuming that you have an Aquatec booster pump, realize it is a diaphragm pump and not a centrifugal pump. Therefore you can run the Aquatec pump dry without damaging it. Can't say the same for a centrifugal pump. A LP switch is really not needed with an Aquatec booster pump in most situations.

There are some good diagrams in the set of instructions here: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/content/Booster_Pump_&_Related_Components.pdf

Russ

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeepjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Buckeye for the info. Those diagrams were what I needed. I have a geekpure which is a diaphragm pump. With the HPS turning off the pump, will I need an ASOV or will water still run through through the pump at normal pressure? Thanks again for the diagrams, now I can get the system set up.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Buckeye for the info. Those diagrams were what I needed. I have a geekpure which is a diaphragm pump. With the HPS turning off the pump, will I need an ASOV or will water still run through through the pump at normal pressure? Thanks again for the diagrams, now I can get the system set up.
please give us a call 513-312-2343

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back