Ro/di mixed bed resin depletion.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may or may not be helpful. I am technically on city water but it is from a huge well field from a massive aquafir that covers north Idaho into Washington. We have high co2 in the tap water and our TDS varies from just under 100ppm to over 120ppm. If this is how you get city water, co2 might be killing your resin. Also, chlorine will harm the membrane.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huckilt, I think you are right about the crap water. You might want to invest $50.00 in a HM Com 100 digital TDS meter and check input TDS. I recently purchased one off Amazon and it helped me pinpoint a problem with my system. It ended up being my water RO water storage & salt water mixing barrels leaching silicates and who knows what else back into the water.
My old man has a handheld meter he is going to lend me. I mix and store in Rubbermaid I have a 20 gal brute can for mixing and storing saltwater and a Rubbermaid slim Jim 16 gal I use for transfer from ro/di into a large 150gal vinyl water storage “bladder” I haven’t used any of the water I’ve put into the “bladder” tho. I barely got it and was filling it up when the mixed bed all the sudden went bad from one time seeing it to the next. And I’m talking from top to bottom. Up until that point the only resin depletion I had was the anion stage and it is the same as in the pic. About halfways but I’ve made a fair bit of water and also needed a check valve to stop air from entering the canisters causing excess depletion. When I first noticed the amount of air in the system and depletion were equal.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may or may not be helpful. I am technically on city water but it is from a huge well field from a massive aquafir that covers north Idaho into Washington. We have high co2 in the tap water and our TDS varies from just under 100ppm to over 120ppm. If this is how you get city water, co2 might be killing your resin. Also, chlorine will harm the membrane.
The small town I live in has two water tanks up on the side of the Mesa on the “side of town”. One tank is less than 15 years old I wanna say and the other is older than I am. By a long shot it’s from at least the 60’s or maybe 70’s. So it could a possibility that’s the case. I was able to take one of the meters off of my triple di saver and put it in front of my ro unit to test the source water and it was registering at over 500ppm!! I also have video to prove it cause I’m sure a lot of ppl won’t believe it. I let it run for about 3 mins as well first with the water valve wide open then I slowed it down a bit by closing the valve some it has great pressure. I need a gauge to test it tho. I have one in my brs cart right now jus need to place the order.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.MOV
    50.5 MB

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of tap TDS that high, never seen it though. Even with the best spectrapure 99% membranes your TDS will be ~5 after the membrane. I also flush for 5-10 minutes before and after making RO to help membrane life. Also chlorine/chloramine are hard on membranes. Find out if your water has that added as a different carbon block is used for that. Just remember, high co2 in your water will decimate your di resin life

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of tap TDS that high, never seen it though. Even with the best spectrapure 99% membranes your TDS will be ~5 after the membrane. I also flush for 5-10 minutes before and after making RO to help membrane life. Also chlorine/chloramine are hard on membranes. Find out if your water has that added as a different carbon block is used for that. Just remember, high co2 in your water will decimate your di resin life
I jus find it odd that it didn’t start at one end and work it’s way to the other like the anion resin has been, it was like a light switch. One min it was fine no depletion at all then the next it was completely gone from top to bottom without a bead of blue or purple or whatever color it was. I added a check valve to keep the system from draining and sucking in air while not in use. I noticed one day that my anion depletion was equal to the amount of air that leeched back into the canister from it sitting with no pressure to keep them full of water.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back