RO / DI recommendations

dherman15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be starting a Fluval 13.5 soon. I live in a rural city with no local store to buy RO/DI water.

What is the best value unit?

thanks

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be starting a Fluval 13.5 soon. I live in a rural city with no local store to buy RO/DI water.

What is the best value unit?

thanks
For a tank that size, best value hands-down is the RO Buddie 4 stage, 60 bucks on Amazon. I still use that one and I’m up to a 125 gallon... though I don’t do water changes any more mostly just top off. But still you don’t need a big fancy unit for a 13 gallon setup. Add an in-line TDS meter so you know when to change DI resin and/or your other filters.
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
D

dherman15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size, best value hands-down is the RO Buddie 4 stage, 60 bucks on Amazon. I still use that one and I’m up to a 125 gallon... though I don’t do water changes any more mostly just top off. But still you don’t need a big fancy unit for a 13 gallon setup. Add an in-line TDS meter so you know when to change DI resin and/or your other filters.
Welcome to R2R!

Thank you for the information.
I've looked at the RO Buddie 4 stage system but have read they are prone to leaks. But at the price its probably worth a little leakage.
thanks again

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your on well water you will likely want a booster pump too. It's worth every penny if your setting up to use RODI. The water bladder you have may not get up to the PSI for optimal RO use iirc 80psi, but your unit may say otherwise.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at the RO Buddie 4 stage system but have read they are prone to leaks. But at the price its probably worth a little leakage.
thanks again
I’ve had two, no problems with leakage. If you do have any issues, there customer service is on point! Personally I love it because I can hook it onto the sink unhook it after and since it’s compact you can put it away anywhere. :)

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Liquagen equivalent of the RO Buddie and have been really happy with it. Same type of components, just a different company. They’re all interchangeable, and I’ve actually even added a second RO membrane to boost output, and a second DI stage for efficiency. So expandable too! Easy peasy.

Leakage shouldn’t be a problem. Typically the fittings are wound with Teflon plumber’s tape, and you should have some on hand if you change any of the fittings. It’s a few bucks, and a good investment.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Liquagen equivalent of the RO Buddie and have been really happy with it. Same type of components, just a different company. They’re all interchangeable, and I’ve actually even added a second RO membrane to boost output, and a second DI stage for efficiency. So expandable too! Easy peasy.

Leakage shouldn’t be a problem. Typically the fittings are wound with Teflon plumber’s tape, and you should have some on hand if you change any of the fittings. It’s a few bucks, and a good investment.
Link to buy?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont regret buying this one.
I make plenty of water with the 90gpd maxcap standard and its the most quality unit recommended here :)

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the RO Buddy 4-stage. No leaks,
no issues so far. A little slower than some, but I run it for a few hours a day and get what I need with no issues.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I’ll look into both! My issues are that I’m limited on space and also don’t have a spicket/hose hookup, just my sink. My water is TERRIBLE TDS, fecal manner, chlorine.... I maybe get 100 gallons before my resin is shot.

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I’ll look into both! My issues are that I’m limited on space and also don’t have a spicket/hose hookup, just my sink. My water is TERRIBLE TDS, fecal manner, chlorine.... I maybe get 100 gallons before my resin is shot.
Terrible TDS will limit any system. If you can afford a 150gpd+ system, then so much the better. I settled for what I could afford vs what I thought I needed. I would like better output, but it does the job.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible TDS will limit any system. If you can afford a 150gpd+ system, then so much the better. I settled for what I could afford vs what I thought I needed. I would like better output, but it does the job.
Considering I’m only running two nano systems, my water changes and necessary water in my ato bucket aren’t substantial (maybe 9-10 gallons total for everything a week). Honestly for me, it’s affordability, like is it cheaper to buy an RO buddy new every 6-8 months or buy system replacement cartridges. So I’ll look into the two you guys posted and if replacements come out cheaper (especially for a slightly larger system that naturally handles more) and if I can hook it to my sink, even if the cost is a bit more up front, it might totally be worth it!

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! In case anyone’s interested! If you’re willing to spend about 30-60 bucks more (depending on if you want a 4, 5, or even 6 stage system that’s 25GPD more) it’s cheaper/will go farther in the long run because the replacements for each system are between 30-50$ per year!

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again
I’ve never had a leak. Been removing and reinstalling the same lines for 2.5 years when I refill the DI cartridge myself and it doesn’t leak. People don’t pay attention to the directions for snapping the lines in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back