RO/DI ?

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday i talked about making salt water, it was highly recommended that i get a RO/DI filter system. I have thought about this before, but i am limited by space and water availability. We live in a small 3 bedroom, no water availability in the garage,and under the sink space is in short supply. I need some ideas on how you guys with the restraints that i have, have dealt with the problem, thanks in advance for your time and ideas.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to the location where the water line comes into the house (basement, crawl space) this could be ideal place to tap into since you may have a spigot upstream of the house regulator with more water pressure. I did. You want around 70-80 psi to run rodi efficiently.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a lot of portable RODI stations on line (google "Reef RODI apartment" and/or "college". Small RODI units with hose fittings (you'll likely have to take off/on your spray nozzle if you don't/can't install saddle for fitting) and jerry cans (more portable than 5 gal buckets). You will trade off some RODI capabilities (might go through resin faster for example) of a smaller unit but it will save money over buying it and the convenience is priceless.

Only recommendation I always make...no matter how small install a float valve in that bucket or jerry can.

Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many units come with a sink adapter whereas you can place unit on counter and hook up to faucet and put it away after use. I have mine in laundry area where there is water and a drain available

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, just as @vetteguy53081 said!!

I use my RODI unit (4 stage BRS) as a mobile unit.

During the warm months, I keep it in a garage near an outside water spiget and connect with a hose adapter fitting.

Then in the cold months, I bring it into a bathroom and put it on the counter and connect to my faucet... running the waste line down the drain.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Liquagen 4 stage portable rodi on amazon. Depending on your source water quality, it may be perfectly sufficient.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it mobile. Use your sink when you need to make water. Then drain the chambers and put it in a closet till you need to make more. You don't have to install it anywhere.
sounds good

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many units come with a sink adapter whereas you can place unit on counter and hook up to faucet and put it away after use. I have mine in laundry area where there is water and a drain available
name or brand?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it mobile. Use your sink when you need to make water. Then drain the chambers and put it in a closet till you need to make more. You don't have to install it anywhere.

I thought it was best not to drain the filters when not in use?

OP, i use mine as a mobile unit, I would recommend using the washing machine water inlet if you can, buy a Y adapter for it, then you can leave the Rodi water inlet tube connected and just disconnect the tube from the unit rather than removing the connection from the Y adapter,, use a ball valve to close the water off, as I find tap adapters never fit very well, they spray everywhere, also you can’t use the tap whilst making water, which can be a couple of hours.

You can then store the unit anywhere you want, just connect the tube back to the rodi unit, turn the ball valve open, and off you go.

I would also suggest making a couple of weeks worth of water at a time, saves messing about.

Oh and buy a few extra ball valves for the rodi tubes, place them near the end of the tubes, close them when you are not using the unit, saves the filters drying out and also stops drips from the tubes going everywhere when you move the unit.

Last edited:

JDarling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was told to drain at my local pet store. That maybe why i have to replace cartridges so often. Will try and leave wet to see what happens

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday i talked about making salt water, it was highly recommended that i get a RO/DI filter system. I have thought about this before, but i am limited by space and water availability. We live in a small 3 bedroom, no water availability in the garage,and under the sink space is in short supply. I need some ideas on how you guys with the restraints that i have, have dealt with the problem, thanks in advance for your time and ideas.
one of the members here recommended the Aquatic life buddy from Amazon, it says ro system, it that the same as ro/di or do you have to get another cartridge, and will just ro water be good enough, for reef tanks.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on the one i described can i add the di cartridge, or a completely diff setup

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used bottled water and 5 gallon jug water with no issues at all. In fact, the water from bottles was much more consistently pure and reliable than that which I made w my RODI system.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back