RO mixing tank and externally plumbed pumps.

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by littlebigreef, Mar 8, 2018.

1. littlebigreef

littlebigreef Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I've purchased a 35 gal ace roto mold tank for holding RO water while I mix it. I want to use the bulkhead to install a pump in-line that will be 'T'ed off and valved with one leading back into the RO tank (for mixing) and the other to a hose (for filling the sump).

1) What is the best pump to use for mixing purposes? Are some brands better for being externally mounted? Should I spring for a ceramic shaft? The sump will be 36" from the tank with no head so I don't need an overly powerful pump. I'd prefer something with an enclosed housing for the motor as there's bound to be drips.
    2) I believe its a 1" bulkhead , if I replace the bulk head should I go with a narrower diameter or is it just as well to reduce down the existing bulkhead once I have my pump picked out?
    3) any 'gotchas' associated with externally plumbed pumps?

I'm looking forward to automating this part of the process.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Just about any pump that you can run externally will work. You'll want it to be strong enough to pump the water to your display/sump area. If it is at least that strong, it will be plenty strong enough to mix salt while using it for that.

Take a look at the article below. I wrote it a while ago but there is a lot of great conversation on mixing stations. It may provide an idea or two you may not have thought of.

Bottom line...You'll love a well designed mixing station.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/let’s-mix-it-up-designing-and-using-a-water-mixing-station.270585/

littlebigreef likes this.
  3. littlebigreef

littlebigreef Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks! I didn't see your article when I was researching but it certainly filled in the last few questions I had. thanks for the help!

dbl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted