ROAD TRIP

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will be driving round trip 5 hours to pick up what we consider a really nice colony at a great price that we couldn't pass up. It's a larger purchase and the coral is a torch that has 11 heads and I am a bit nervous to say the least.

With that being said I was wondering if I should bring anything other than these things. Or any better ideas would be appreciated, and if I'm over doing it let me know hahah

Large styro container for the coral in its bag
Small 50w 10g heater for the bag the corals in
Thermometer to keep water temp just in case
Warming blanket as backup just incase heater doeant work.
Air stone to add to the bag during the drive for oxygen.

I though of a 5 or 10g tank with a lid but the splashing would be insane sitting on my wife's lap hahahah

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals that ship from overseas or from a distributor to your door are in transit a lot longer than 2.5 hours. I would put it in plastic like @Jon Fishman said and not worry too much.

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just put it in a large plastic storage container. It will be fine
Corals that ship from overseas or from a distributor to your door are in transit a lot longer than 2.5 hours. I would put it in plastic like @Jon Fishman said and not worry too much.
Don’t worry about an air stone, you should be fine on that front.
Thanks guys!

I have had a couple dead torches arrive due to shipping so I'm hesitant to trust that again which is why I drove. And it was a 10 hour round trip, 5 each way...a typo on my part, so I definitely was a bit over cautious lol

Well all is good so far...the plug in heat pad for our car went our of course lol so we had to grab some hand warmers but everything else is went well.

I just kept it in a bag in the styro container with the heat pads wrapped in a towel.

I have another hour before I get home and get it acclimating but the long haul is over, I think...

I'll post pics of the acclimation when I get home.

Heres a pic of it before transfer....there are a solid 11 heads but 1 is splitting again.

With indo shipping again I know they will be back on the market but I'm not sure a colony of this size will be available for us anytime soon hahahah (5 months from now I'll be putting foot in my mouth) but I think I did good, for all those interested I played $700 for it....good, bad or indifferent I like it and feel it was appropriately priced.

THE BEST PART is I got to meet a fellow reefer who was a really great guy.

It opened my eyes to coral swaps and frag meets. I will definitely be going to more and meeting more like minded people!

Thanks again guys!!

Screenshot_20200119-225312_Gallery.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back