Rock Anemone Question

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
Last Friday i purchased 2 rock anemones from a guy in my area (i only bought 1 and 2 from the pic below). I went and picked them up and saw them in his tank, in person. They looked great. He bagged them up, i drove home and acclimated them, both temp and drip. I temp acclimated them for 30-40 mins then drip acclimated them for about 1.5 to 2 hours. After the acclimation process i placed them on a bottom rock in the front corner of the tank. The lighting is decent and not direct (in my opinion). Since acclimating them, they will not open 100%. most of the time they are about 50% open. i have spot fed them once (mysis shrimp). They have not moved and they look good (coloration), just wont fully open. the flow in this area is relatively low. they are not getting full light or blasted by flow. is what i am experiencing common for these rock anemones and will they eventually open up 100%? i can post pics tonight when i get home of them currently.

Tank Details 120 gal tank
ocean revives T247s
Maxspec Gyres (2) 150 and 130 (i think)
temp is constant at 77
alk is slowing coming up but was low. it is currently at 8.0
cal is high. around 480
mag is around 1200
ammonia is 0
ph is 8.2
nitrite 0
nitrate ~5-10
IMG_E0196.JPG

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they attached? If it's only been a day, you should give them a bit of time to "de-stress" I recently moved a BTA from my main tank to a new nem tank in a different room and it took it 3 days to settle.

OP
OP
H

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. they appear to be attached. i have not put my hand in there and disrupted the rock they are on to verify, but they appear to be attached. They have been in there for 7 days now. i am assuming they are just getting acclimated to my light, because they def do not look like the pic above.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get pictures I can confirm if they are doing okay.

Some take time to open up. From my experience, newly introduced specimens tend to be more protective and won't open as widely as when you first saw and purchased them. Once they get situated and are happy, they will open up a lot more.

A really sick rock flower anemone will have its mouth very wide open and its generally pointy frills will be rounded like fingers or look like old school cheese puffs.

OP
OP
H

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some recent pics of the rock nems. as you can tell, neither is really fully open compared to the original pic (see first comment above). Please note, both nems are present in the both pics. the large one looks to be getting more comfortable, but the other in the back is closed up pretty much all of the time. the mouth on the front one is closed all the time, but i cannot tell about the other one since its usually more closed up.

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some recent pics of the rock nems. as you can tell, neither is really fully open compared to the original pic (see first comment above). Please note, both nems are present in the both pics. the large one looks to be getting more comfortable, but the other in the back is closed up pretty much all of the time. the mouth on the front one is closed all the time, but i cannot tell about the other one since its usually more closed up.

They appear to be fine for now.

Buckling up is pretty common when I get new anemones.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back