Rock Bank

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thought I would show off my rock bank. Setting up a tank in the near future and had these sitting in a Brute bin slowly cooking in the dark to populate my new tank with.

Moved them over to my seeding 100g Rock bank. What I mean by that is these rocks should be ready to be put in any tank and not cause any problems, they should have all cycled.

I will periodically dose with ammonia and do the odd water change.
IMG_20171119_164642617.jpg

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the idea of making this RockBank a sump of sorts. Maybe I could setup a couple of tanks on a stand and have them plumbed into this as a sump. Then I would have a couple of frag tanks as quarantine and grow out tanks. As I'm new to corals, any suggestions would be appreciated.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the idea of making this RockBank a sump of sorts. Maybe I could setup a couple of tanks on a stand and have them plumbed into this as a sump. Then I would have a couple of frag tanks as quarantine and grow out tanks. As I'm new to corals, any suggestions would be appreciated.

A lot of people do put live rock in their sumps to help with filtration. I think it will work just fine as long as they are cycled before adding corals.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply rcmike, the rock is cycled and ready to go. I have a two step process, I take old rock with algae and junk on it and put in the brute bin for a couple of months and just do water changes when nitrates get high, the bin has a heater and pump. Everything breaks down and the algae dies but the bacteria stay alive. Then move this rock to the RockBank.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it should work well as a sump. Lots of extra biological filtration.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back