Rock cleaning advise....

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the deal, I had some rock about 50-75 lbs cycling in a tub and was going to use it for my next build but today I smelled something that was almost like a burning smell or electrical fire and it ended up the pump I had in with the rock went out and then somehow the heater fell to the bottom of the tub and started melting the plastic, it didn't get the water hot or it had already cooled down but the smell is terrible. The water and rocks with in smell like a rubber/electronic fire. How do I or can I get the said rocks back to be able to be used in a tank, saltwater btw. Will it bother the fish or corals at all? Do I need to start the cycling process over? I dunno, wash with rest water placed back in saltwater? Thought id ask before just blindly jumping into something as I really don't know.

thanks everyone
Rob

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here is the deal, I had some rock about 50-75 lbs cycling in a tub and was going to use it for my next build but today I smelled something that was almost like a burning smell or electrical fire and it ended up the pump I had in with the rock went out and then somehow the heater fell to the bottom of the tub and started melting the plastic, it didn't get the water hot or it had already cooled down but the smell is terrible. The water and rocks with in smell like a rubber/electronic fire. How do I or can I get the said rocks back to be able to be used in a tank, saltwater btw. Will it bother the fish or corals at all? Do I need to start the cycling process over? I dunno, wash with rest water placed back in saltwater? Thought id ask before just blindly jumping into something as I really don't know.

thanks everyone
Rob
Although the plastic should not be an issue, add a little bleach and circulate 48-72 hrs
Empty and run cold water with a hose until you can’t smell bleach any longer and sun dry 2-3 days

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the plastic should not be an issue, add a little bleach and circulate 48-72 hrs
Empty and run cold water with a hose until you can’t smell bleach any longer and sun dry 2-3 days
Ty been busy so didn’t get around to say I followed this and said rock is cycling in a new tank setup with an old tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to cleanse rock outside the tank is to submerge it into a 5g bucket of RODI and by hand violently swoosh the rock (up, down, side to side) to release debris. do this several times....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back