Rock Cycling

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In June, I put some live rock to cycle into a Home Depot bucket, threw a small pump and heater and let it sit... for months. I topped off with mostly salt and RO water. I had wanted to add rock to my aquascape after selling some corals that were imbedded into the rock. Recently tested the water and it came up with great results 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. By pure luck, I forgot to refill the bucket after going on a trip. The pump burned out and the rock was exposed for a few days... :( Refilled the bucket just today and am getting a new powerhead. I was originally planning to add the rock to the DT after I got back, but I am quite hesitant to add it after some of the rock being exposed to the air, not dried out but lightly damp. Would my terrible mistake result in me having to re-cycle the rock? Also any advice when the time comes to put the rock in the tank appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need to recycle. But the recycle time will be a lot shorter. Also when you add to display tank add a little at a time and check parameters.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not take that long. The only way you will know if it has cycled is to test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You could add a little ammonia as food for the bacteria and see what they do with it. If they can utilize it down to nitrate then the rock is ready.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back