Rock Flower Anemone injured from falling Hammer Coral? Help?

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so yesterday our hammer fell from a higher spot on the rock (trouble making hermit crab I suspect). It was wedged in there really well for the past 3-4 weeks, and then suddenly it was laying on the sand half on-top of the rock-flower anemone...

Before this happened the anemone was healthy and has grown a bit since we got it from the LFS a couple months ago. It's been eating twice a week, and looks nice and round and healthy, and extends fully every day.

Once we noticed the Hammer fell, the anemone had closed up on the side facing the hammer, the polyps of the hammer were still mostly extended, and just a couple of them were basically in direct contact with the anemone.

So we pulled it out and put it back, with some additional glue to hold it well into place. Seems to be stable now. Anemone was still closed up, but we figured he was irritated, so waited until today to check back in on him...

Today the Anemone is open, but he appears to have a "pie slice" missing from the side facing where the hammer coral was... it goes basically all the way to his mouth (orange outer part with green center around his mouth, you can see it's on the right-hand side in the pic), which has us a bit concerned... The rest of him looks fine as per normal... Tonight is the night we usually spot feed him, so should we hold-off on feeding if he's injured?

Anything else we should do to help him out? Or will he likely heal up on his own?

Fist time with this "clash" happening, so wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and has any input to add? Just want to make sure our Anemone is safe, we quite like him, and not only do we not want to lose a critter, but also worried about anemones tendency to poison a tank if they begin dying...

Here is a pic of the Anemone today:
7177030509343676117-account_id=2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone looks pretty good considering.
I would just keep watching the anemone, rock anemones are really resilient.
With about 80 gallons of water I doubt you have any concerns regarding the anemone dying in fouling the water. The anemone is not that big and they do not release poisons upon death. An established aquarium should be able to handle the decay but if you do see an obvious decline just pull the anemone, but I would not be surprised if the anemone returned to it's original state.

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone looks pretty good considering.
I would just keep watching the anemone, rock anemones are really resilient.
With about 80 gallons of water I doubt you have any concerns regarding the anemone dying in fouling the water. The anemone is not that big and they do not release poisons upon death. An established aquarium should be able to handle the decay but if you do see an obvious decline just pull the anemone, but I would not be surprised if the anemone returned to it's original state.

Any worries about feeding him tonight? ie: should we wait another day or two to see if he returns to normal?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not feed for a week or more.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock anemone should be fine. In the past, I received a large order of rock flowers with some with visible damage to the disks similar to yours above. Just keep your water parameters good and they will recover. From what I have seen, it may take quite awhile sometimes for them to completely recover.

As for feeding, if they aren't feeling well, they usually won't accept food anyways. However, the ones I had that were damaged took food pretty easily.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back