Anemone help!

Gigi197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what the heck is going on with my long tentacle anemone? The first picture shows him in the top right...big and proud...biggest in my tank! Then all of a sudden he fell off the rock (he has a big foot so I wondered if he'd be able to attached properly there) and no matter where I try to put him he WILL NOT stay! :-( I've tried to bury his foot in the sand...I swear he digs himself out. The other picture is him this morning and he goes through moments...one minute he doesn't look too bad and then he looks like this! HELP! My last water test, yesterday showed Calcium 400ppm, Alkalinity 10dkh, Phosphate 0.25, PH 7.8, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate less than 5 ppm and Salinity was 1.022.

IMG_2215.jpeg IMG_2233.jpeg

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How old is the tank? From the looks of the rock and sand it looks like a fairly new set up?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a happy anemone. Phosphorus is high with low salinity, in a new tank that’s not going to end well for the anemone. LTAs also should not be buried in sand. At the very least I would put it in a basket with some rubble rock and be ready to remove it. Also keep an eye on any powerheads since it is not attached and may bail out.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is a bit high but that's not likely the problem. Your other parameters are fine. Salinity would be better closer to 1.024/1.025
LTA's are sand dwelling anemones. It can take them a few days of wandering around before they decide to dig their foot in and settle down. Most of mine prefer to dig in at the rock sand interface.
In the second pic, it looks as if this LTA has several tears in its foot and column with its internal tissue expelling out. That's not a good sign and this nem will likely not survive if that is the case. It may continue to go through an inflate/deflate pattern for a few days and then eventually die and start breaking down in your tank. Watch it closely and if you begin to see tissue coming loose and falling off, its time to discard it.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others talk about parameters being off a bit. In addition, it appears that the lighting is not adequate (not sure though). And you're not going to put a nem where you want it, it will go where it please because it doesn't like where its at. Leave it alone and hope it settles in, good luck with it.

stevemillersreef

millersreef.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whenever an anemone lets go and just lays there, its over for the poor thing. could be food, light or a immature system. I keep my salinity at 35.5.

OP
OP
Gigi197

Gigi197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not a new system, just over a year…and the other long tentacle and bubble tip are fine and have been.
Normally my salinity is closer to 1.025 just this time I was off with water change. I’ve been working on the PH and it’s lower than it was but I know it needs to come down more. Just sad that it’s affecting this one not the others. :(

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH should actually be higher, so it needs to go up, ideal to around 8.3 and phosphate should be under .1. That said, I doubt that's causing the problem. Can you describe your system? What equipment are you using--particular lighting--and are you using HOB filters? How often do you do water changes? Did you just add rock, or are they always that color?

OP
OP
Gigi197

Gigi197

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH should actually be higher, so it needs to go up, ideal to around 8.3 and phosphate should be under .1. That said, I doubt that's causing the problem. Can you describe your system? What equipment are you using--particular lighting--and are you using HOB filters? How often do you do water changes? Did you just add rock, or are they always that color?
Hi yes, sorry…I meant my phosphate is a little high. Just recently started slowly adding API Proper PH so I’ll keep working to get it higher. I have a Tidal 100 HOB and a Tidal 75 HOB. The 100 holds all of my media and the 75 is mainly charcoal and floss. I do a 25 to 30 % change weekly from my RODI system. I do add my own salt which I need to figure out a better system for so my numbers stay more balanced. Most of the live rock has been in the tank since I started September 2022. The new white “dry rock” is new. And I did just recently rearrange things so the dirty sides are facing the back now. lol. My lighting is FluvalSmart Marine & Reef 1100 mm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back