Rock flower anemones

cookr959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.What is a good price to pay for these? I've seen them for sale anything from 15$ to 200. The more expensive ones being way cooler looking of course.
2. If you get multiple and they spawn are the babies similar to the parents or different all together?
3. I have heard from my LFS that every new baby anemone looks different and even if both parents are bland in color you can get a really colorful baby that is way different. Is this true?

Any help would be awesome thanks!

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock nems are either male or female. The females give birth to babies out of the mouth. The baby is identical to the mother.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The young are not identical to the parents although some could be. I don't think we know yet they way to figure out the ratios of colors and some may look like neither parent.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Ive witnessed 3 births total and i thought that was the norm.

I mean maybe your case is different but one of my LFSs and a friend of mine breed rock flowers and they will get some that are like that parents or sort of a mix and some that are just plain brown or white, very low quality and nothing like the parents.

It might depend on the genes of the parents but we don't know for sure.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean maybe your case is different but one of my LFSs and a friend of mine breed rock flowers and they will get some that are like that parents or sort of a mix and some that are just plain brown or white, very low quality and nothing like the parents.

It might depend on the genes of the parents but we don't know for sure.
Didnt know that. All mine have come from AquaSD. So far, babies have been identical. Guess im lucky...

OP
OP
C

cookr959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need multiple to have them reproduce. What about prices for these? What is everyone paying?

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need multiple to have them reproduce. What about prices for these? What is everyone paying?
I paid $75 for this one.
68556854ea12ddec3d1d075e8b3decff.jpg

Only one i can get a pic of right now

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know a lot but I did buy this guy and I got a few lil guys hiding under some of my rocks I never paid for them and I know they're there the big was bought the one on the shell it just popped up
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

VIPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were probably already fertilized and yes you need a male and female for that to happen. Offspring can be identical, similar or totally different. As far I as know there is no visible way to tell them apart yet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 140 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back