Rock Flower Downsides?

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have several. There is one that likes to go back and forth between two spots on the rock. All the rest have stayed where placed. They love bits of food and will react by closing up around the food to get it into their mouths. I like the idea of getting some porcelain crabs to host them. We have two anemone crabs. One is hosting a ricordea, which is growing quite well now. The other I can not find.

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one that planted itself in one spot when I added it and has been healthy and happy with zero issues. They like getting spot fed with reef roids

jkbonsai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Friday and I am wishing the work day away thinking about some future additions I would like to see in my tank down the road. I'm looking to stock forgiving inhabitants and softies. So far my only experience is with GSP and leathers.

I'm really drawn to the look of rock flower nems. Having never had any, can people weigh in some pros and cons. difficulty level etc. Do's and don'ts...... would my tank even support them?
Tank is a Biocube 32 with sock lighting (not planning on upgrading). Over a year old.

Hit my with your knowledge!

Come Here Lets Go GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Thanks!
It's Friday and I am wishing the work day away thinking about some future additions I would like to see in my tank down the road. I'm looking to stock forgiving inhabitants and softies. So far my only experience is with GSP and leathers.

I'm really drawn to the look of rock flower nems. Having never had any, can people weigh in some pros and cons. difficulty level etc. Do's and don'ts...... would my tank even support them?
Tank is a Biocube 32 with sock lighting (not planning on upgrading). Over a year old.

Hit my with your knowledge!

Come Here Lets Go GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Thanks!
Here’s mine in a 7gal reef

Attachments

• 530C7641-D324-4F74-A639-47C12AA79F67.jpeg
    530C7641-D324-4F74-A639-47C12AA79F67.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 54
  • FC3ADE14-DD7E-4B3A-A376-6F46680A9260.jpeg
    FC3ADE14-DD7E-4B3A-A376-6F46680A9260.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 36

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My least favorite part of them is they seem to find their "happy place" right in the middle of zoa colonies. Sometimes they move there sometimes it just where the babies pop up. However it small price for really nice looking creatures.
That has been my exact experience as well! Right in the middle of zoas. But they are very easy with little to no care other than I feed mine every few weeks

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone that seems to be a hybrid between a flower and tentacled. the similarity is in the way it stretches. It’s body can stretch super long and has taken out at least three corals Just like regular bubble tips. So flower anemone disk with tentacle anemone base. Unlike regular flower type that are generally non aggressive and do not move. they also reproduce rapidly.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone that seems to be a hybrid between a flower and tentacled. the similarity is in the way it stretches. It’s body can stretch super long and has taken out at least three corals Just like regular bubble tips. So flower anemone disk with tentacle anemone base. Unlike regular flower type that are generally non aggressive and do not move. they also reproduce rapidly.
Do you have a photo?

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm breeding them now and once they get going they become 'common' and unthought nit a nonsense, they seem to have no monetary value anymore. Like common rose anemone the stores aren't even giving $20 credit for them anymore. My flower anemone are getting me a trade in store credit of $5 each.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm breeding them now and once they get going they become 'common' and although not a nuisance, they seem to have no monetary value anymore. Like common rose anemone, the stores aren't even giving $20 credit for rose anemone anymore ( I've lower price to $10 for rose). My flower anemone are getting me a trade in store credit of $5 each.

Last edited:

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would not be ideal for my situation. I have a pistol that is constantly rearranging my sandbed. I feel like any bottom Dwellers will suffer from his construction eventually.
battle gladiator GIF by History UK

My experience with them so far has been awesome. I have both a Sleeper Goldhead Goby, a pink strip Goby and pistol shrimp. Even with all the sand movement and a lot of sand on top of them on occasion, they just shake it off at night and move on!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back