Rock from beach

Linehand83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a buddy of mine went to Florida around the Fort Lauderdale Miami area and I told him if he sees any nice rocks to bring some back for me. He brought me an entire 30 gallon tote full and I was curious if people think it would be safe to clean cure and put in my reef tank

image.jpg

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look just like the rocks you will find on beaches throughout the Caribbean. its All good rock but prior to dumping it in your tank set up a small tank powerhead and skimmer. Let that run for a month and you will have great rock for use. You may need to dose some Lanthium depending on po4 absorbed in rock. Otherwise you can hang a light and let the algae grow and consume it. After that you are good to go.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look just like the rocks you will find on beaches throughout the Caribbean. its All good rock but prior to dumping it in your tank set up a small tank powerhead and skimmer. Let that run for a month and you will have great rock for use. You may need to dose some Lanthium depending on po4 absorbed in rock. Otherwise you can hang a light and let the algae grow and consume it. After that you are good to go.
I humbly disagree. That looks like mined rock to me. The limestone on the beach are more yellowish and typically have some type of life growing on them. It looks bleached as if it was being used for landscaping or decorative construction. Except the four or so pieces directly on the right side of the heater. We also get a lot of natural silica conglomerate on our beaches it will have a grainy appearance and I'm not sure if it will cause diatoms or not.

OP
OP
L

Linehand83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everybody’s great reply so far my plan is it’s in a tote with fresh make up water and salt. There is a heater. There is a power head in there just quite can’t see it. Lol. Most of the rock has a slight fossilized. Dead coral base look. I will let it run for a couple to three weeks and there is a local shop that can do a full scale water analysis for me and tell me exactly what’s in the water. I just do the basics and it’s worth it for me to take it to them once in a while and pay the three dollars to have them run the full panel.

Attachments

• B9A44BCC-177E-46A3-BF1A-BD71758B581B.jpeg
    B9A44BCC-177E-46A3-BF1A-BD71758B581B.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 42

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Illegal as H, even if it was collected well above the Mean High Tide Line. Years ago you could collect Sea Life Growing on Trash, Glass, Plastic, pieces of old concrete etc. Don’t know if that is even legal now. A little off subject, about ten years ago a Maryland couple picked up a pair of Baby Sea Turtles. Raised them in their home , while steadily increasing the size of their enclosure. Finally they got too big for them. Called the Baltimore Aquarium, they said they would pick them up. Needless to say the Feds came along and they went out in handcuffs. Never did hear what finally happened to the couple.

Back