Rock from the ocean, safe or not?

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I am upgrading to a 120 gallon system and I will be needing a considerable amount of live rock due to the fact that I only have about 35 lbs of rock in my current tank. I live in N. CAL and the wife and I make a couple trips a year to the coast for a relaxing getaway. My question is if I were to collect some rock from the ocean would that be safe or not for my new aquarium? Live rock is expensive and it would be great to be able to save some $$$. Just a thought

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock you would need won't just come from shore most likely. Also in a lot of places its illegal so I'd check into it. If you want ocean rock try gulfliverock.com

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I am upgrading to a 120 gallon system and I will be needing a considerable amount of live rock due to the fact that I only have about 35 lbs of rock in my current tank. I live in N. CAL and the wife and I make a couple trips a year to the coast for a relaxing getaway. My question is if I were to collect some rock from the ocean would that be safe or not for my new aquarium? Live rock is expensive and it would be great to be able to save some $$$. Just a thought
The only thing youll have to consider is introducing some sort of parasite or invasive specimen you pick up from the tidepools or shore.
If you have lots of expensive coral and a tank thats been quarantined, no not a good idea.

But if you have a tank youd like to observe life in, then sure!

Also where you are collecting is a big variable :)

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Northern Coast of CA is cold. Most things on the rock would probably die off in a warmer Reef Tank I'd think. If you do it, put it in a Brute Can of saltwater with circulation. Add the heater as the same time as the rock, not before.
I personally like Marcos Reefsaver. It is a bit cheaper on MarineDepot and it is sometimes really cheap on amazon. Rinse it off really good with a garden hose or pressure washer if you get it from Amazon. Put a small return pump in the bottom of a Brute can and run a PVC pipe with a Tee at the top. Drill holes on the PVC and then mix your salt water and add the dry rock. Use whichever nitrifying bacteria you want. Try to get some rubble from Aquabiomics and throw that in there if you can.
I would also add some small rocks you get from the beach. Keep them in a container of saltwater and just dump it all into the Brute with the dry rock. When you add the rock to the new tank, don't let it sit out. It does make scaping a PITA but your new tank will have very cycled rock and a great start to biodiversity.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also FWIW, in the past, I've collected dry liverock from spots in Hawaii that I had found on shore away from the water completely white and sunbleached.
Youd need to clean and cure it again but it has more potantial to not carry unwanted pests.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back